A report prepared for the project ‘Shrimp Culture Development’
of the Iranian Fisheries Company (Shilat)
of the Islamic Republic of Iran
FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANIZATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS
The designations employed and the presentation of the material and maps in this document do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Hyperlinks to non-FAO Internet sites do not imply any official endorsement of or responsibility for the opinions, ideas, data or products presented at these locations, or guarantee the validity of the information provided. The sole purpose of links to non-FAO sites is to indicate further information available on related topics.
This electronic document has been scanned using optical character recognition (OCR) software. FAO declines all responsibility for any discrepancies that may exist between the present document and its original printed version.
PART ONE: NARRATIVE REPORT
2. TERMS OF REFERENCE
2.1 ORIGINAL TOR
2.2 REVISED TOR
2.2.4 Other Tasks
3. PROGRAM OF WORK
3.1 SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITY
4.1 UPDATE ON SHRIMP CULTURE DEVELOPMENT IN IRAN
4.2.1 Grow-out Area
4.2.3 Alternative Hatchery Sites
4.2.4 Hendijan and Zohre River Area
4.3.2 Bandar Abbas
4.4.1 Grow-out Pond Area Near Helleh River
4.4.2 Survey for Additional Farm Sites
4.4.3 Possible Hatchery Sites
5. DESIGN WORK INITIATED
6.1 WHAT IS KNOW SO FAR
6.2 WHAT STILL NEED TO BE DONE
6.2.1 Sustaining Public Interest
6.2.2 The Species Question
6.2.3 Selecting A Suitable Local Species
6.2.4 Spawner Supply
6.2.5 Economic Viability
6.2.6 Hatchery Management Approach
6.2.7 Development Approach
PART TWO: ENGINEERING ASPECTS
2. HATCHERY SYSTEM
2.1 SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES
2.2 BASIC CONSIDERATIONS
2.2.2 Determining The Hatchery Period
2.2.3 Production Cycle
2.2.4 Tank Capacities and Number
2.2.5 Algal Culture Tanks
2.2.6 Broodstock Tanks
2.2.8 Seawater Intake and Treatment
2.2.9 Water Distribution System
2.2.10 Aeration System
2.2.11 Support Facilities
3. POND SYSTEM
3.1 BASIC CONSIDERATIONS
3.1.1 Grow-out Culture Period
3.1.2 Ground Elevation and Tidal Regime
3.1.3 Culture System
3.1.4 Water Management
3.1.5 Basic Pond Size
3.1.6 Soil Type
3.2 HELLEH RIVER AREA FARM ESTATE
3.2.1 Layout And Subdivision Plan
3.2.2 Shilat Demonstration Farm
3.2.3 Seawater Supply and Distribution
3.2.4 Freshwater Supply System
3.2.5 Drainage and Harvest System
3.2.6 Support Facilities
LIST OF ANNEXES
1. Itinerary of Wilfredo G. Yap, Senior Aquaculturist, and Romulus J. Landoy, Aquaculture Engineer.
2. List of persons met.
3. Basic assumptions for the design of a 100 million pl-20 shrimp hatchery.
4. Production assumptions for the proposed shrimp hatchery in Mahshahr, Khuzistan province.
5. Production assumptions for the proposed shrimp hatchery in Jask, Hormuzgan province.
6. Basic assumptions and requirements for the design and construction of a shrimp hatchery.
7. List of pumps and aeration equipment for the proposed shrimp hatchery in Mahshahr, Khuzistan province.
8. List of pumps and aeration equipment for the proposed shrimp hatchery at Jask, Hormuzgan province.
9. Basic assumptions and requirements for the design and construction of a shrimp grow-out farm.
10. Engineering drawings.