|UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME|
|No. TA 3028|
R E P O R T
GOVERNMENT OF IRAN
A PROGRAMME FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF INLAND FISHERIES
Based on the work
Anatoli P. Ivanov
Inland Fishery Biologist
FAO/UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE) REPORTS ON FISHERIES
This document is Report No. TA 3028 in the series of FAO reports produced under the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). Since 1 January 1966, reports produced under the former Expanded Programme of Technical Assistance (EPTA) have appeared in the UNDP (TA) series. The numbering of reports in the UNDP (TA) series is unbroken and follows consecutively the numbering of the former EPTA series.
Since 1 January 1962, those reports which concerned FAO technical assistance in fisheries have been numbered consecutively in a subseries within the general series.
The present report is the two hundred and eighteenth report in the fishery subseries FAO Fish.UNDP(TA)Rep., FIRI/UNDP(TA) 218.
For bibliographic purposes, this document may be cited as follows:
FAO 1971 Report to the Government of Iran on a Programme for the Development of Inland Fisheries. Based on the work of A.P. Ivanov, Inland Fishery Biologist. Rep.FAO/UNDP(TA), (3028):57p.
FAO. Report to the Government of Iran on A Programme for the Development of the Inland Fisheries based on the work of A.P. Ivanov, Rome, 1971. 57p. United Nations Development Programme, Report No. TA 3028.
The annual growth of the world's population makes it necessary to meet ever increasing demands for protein.
The Government of Iran is therefore making great efforts to raise crop yields and the productivity of animal husbandry as well as to increase catches of sea fishing. It is also concerned with the development of fish culture which, given proper management, can be a highly profitable branch of economy and provide a means for increasing the country's total protein product.
Field work has been carried out in the Isfahan area, Pulur area and the Caspian plains, investigating potentialities for construction and establishment of fish culture stations. Results of the investigations are included in this report which also contains recommendations on the construction of a fish culture station combining both experimental work and fish production in the Isfahan area; fish rearing in rice fields; fish hatcheries construction and utilization of village reservoirs for production of market-size fish, as well as suggestions for establishing fish culture stations on the rivers of Lar and Neka.
FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANIZATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS
Hyperlinks to non-FAO Internet sites do not imply any official endorsement of or responsibility for the opinions, ideas, data or products presented at these locations, or guarantee the validity of the information provided. The sole purpose of links to non-FAO sites is to indicate further information available on related topics.
This electronic document has been scanned using optical character recognition (OCR) software. FAO declines all responsibility for any discrepancies that may exist between the present document and its original printed version.
CHAPTER 1 INTRODUCTION
1.1 Background Information
CHAPTER 2 OBSERVATIONS, EFFORTS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
2.1 Biological Grounds for Designing a Fish Culture Project in the Isfahan Area
2.1.1 Site of the project
2.1.2 Soil of the site
2.1.3 Sources of water
2.1.4 The air temperature and the vegetation period
2.1.5 Type, system and production cycle of the fish culture project
2.1.6 Choice of fish species to be reproduced and cultivated in the project
2.1.7 Biology and biotechniques of cultivation and rearing of scale carp and plant-eating fish
2.1.8 Fish culture project calculations
2.1.10 Selection of the fish culture method
2.1.11 General recommendations
2.2 Fish Rearing in Rice Fields
2.3 Village Reservoirs of the Caspian Plains
CHAPTER 3 SUMMARY OF RECOMMENDATIONS
1. Average monthly temperature of the air in the Isfahan area
2. Protein ratios and feeding ratios of foodstuffs used for scale carp
3. Characteristics of ponds of Isfahan Fish Culture Project
4. Production cycle and calendar plan of Isfahan Fish Culture Project
5. Annual requirements for water supply during filling of ponds in Isfahan Fish Culture Project (with regard to saturation of soil under the bottom, filtration and evaporation factors)
6. Daily requirements for water supply during ponds' operation in Isfahan Fish Culture Project (with regard to filtration and evaporation factors)
7. Recommended capacity of fish hatcheries and fish culture stations supplied by hatcheries (Mazandaran province)
8. Trout catches in the Lar river and its tributaries
9. Distribution of water consumption in the Padjim area
10. Indices calculated for the fish hatchery (all ace groups of fish)
11. Production process and calendar plan of the fish hatchery's work
12. Biotechnical standards of kutum and common carp cultivation
13. Capacity of the spawning-and-rearing fish culture station on the Neka river, Mazandaran province
1. Feed trays for fish
2. Diagram of the Isfahan Fish Culture Project
3. Lar river and prospective artifical lake
4. Distributing depths in prospective artifical Lar lake
5. Diagram of the fish hatchery, Mazandaran province
6. Diagram of the spawning-and-rearing fish culture station on the Neka river
1. The Lar river and a dam construction project providing for subsequent creation of a reservoir
2. The Neka river and a dam construction project
3. Stocking of the Shah-Esmaeel reservoir