1. The DVO and staff at Livingstone Office destroyed the surviving pigs in the affected pens and disinfected with appropriate disinfectants.
2. Disease search commenced in all the camps and on 20th April 2004, it was further observed that pigs were dying on a farm 5 km away from Livingstone town and at Mulanfu village under Simango Veterinary Camp.
3. Samples (kidney, lymph nodes, whole blood and serum) were collected from a sacrificed pig and transported on ice to the Central Veterinary Research Institute (CVRI) at Balmoral, Lusaka. The samples were received at CVRI on 21st April 2004 for onward transmission to Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute, Republic of South Africa for virus isolation and characterization.
4. The Chief Veterinary Officer - Dr D. Minyoi and project consultant Dr J. Belemu arrived in Livingstone to evaluate actions taken and to suggest guidelines to control the epidemic.
5. Movement ban was instituted in 4 towns, Kazungula, Livingstone, Kalomo and Choma.
6. ASF disease search is still continuing and pigs with clinical evidence of disease have been destroyed.