8th Session of the Intergovernmental Technical Working Group on Animal Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (2014)
Rome, Italy, 26-28 November 2014
The Eighth Session of the Intergovernmental Technical Working Group on Animal Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture will be held at FAO Headquarters in Rome from 26-28 November 2014. The opening meeting will begin at 9.30 on Wednesday, 26 November 2014. The Session is being convened under the Regular Programme of the Organization. Simultaneous translations in Arabic, English, French and Spanish will be available.
The Working Group was established by the Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture at its Seventh Session in May 1997, in line with Conference Resolution 3/95. The Fourteenth Regular Session of the Commission in April 2013 decided that the Working Group should meet prior to the next Regular Session of the Commission. Issues to be addressed by the Eighth Session of the Working Group include:
- review of the progress made in the implementation of the Global Plan of Action for Animal Genetic Resources; including the Funding Strategy for the implementation of the Global Plan of Action;
- review of the second report on The State of the World’s Animal Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture;
- review of draft guidelines on animal identification, traceability and performance recording; and
- review of the nature of ecosystem services provided by livestock species and breeds.
The Commission also requested the Working Group to explore:
- access and benefit-sharing issues for its subsector;
- the application and integration of biotechnologies for the conservation and sustainable utilization of genetic resources for food and agriculture; and
- the integration of genetic-diversity considerations into climate change adaptation planning.
The members of the Working Group, as elected by the Fourteenth Session of the Commission, are as follows:
- Africa: Cameroon, Eritrea, Morocco, Namibia, Togo
- Asia: Bhutan, India, Malaysia, Mongolia, Thailand
- Europe: France, Germany, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland
- Latin America and the Caribbean: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Suriname
- Near East: Iraq, Qatar, Sudan
- North America: Canada, United States of America
- Southwest Pacific: Cook Islands, Fiji
Members of the Commission which are not members of the Working Group may participate, upon request to the Commission Secretariat, in the work of the Working Group as observers. The Working Group, or the Bureau on behalf of the Working Group, may invite experts, as well as representatives of specialized international organizations, to attend its meetings as observers.