In accordance with the agreement between the Republic of Seychelles and the Norwegian Agency for Development (NORAD) a project was carried out to survey the fish resources and fishing possibilities in Seychelles waters during July 1978. The survey was conducted by a team of Norwegian and Seychelles government scientists onboard the research vessel Dr. Fridtjof Nansen.
The main objectives of the survey were:
1. To map the distribution area of the commercially important fish stocks on the Mahé Plateau with special reference to Decapterus spp. and Lutjanus spp.
2. To estimate the abundance of the important fish stocks.
3. To carry out biological studies on the commercially important species.
4. To carry out physical and chemical studies in the area.
5. To evaluate the efficiency of different fishing gears.