FAO mandate in this domain is to increase durable livestock production and productivity that contribute in poverty reduction, improved food security, improved food safety, as well as in safe trade in livestock and Animal products while safeguarding environmental sustainability and biodiversity.
Working in close coordination with the Animal Production and Health Division (AGA) at FAO Headquarters, the unit works in these areas;
- Assists and coordinates a multi-disciplinary programme to promote new developments of the livestock sector in countries of the sub-region.
- Cooperates in formulation of livestock development policies with special emphasis on restructuring, modernization or revitalization of the livestock sector.
- Supports capacity building in animal production and health services.
- Analyses the economic and technical constraints to developing sustainable systems of animal production and associated animal products processing industries.
- Assists in the formulation of integrated livestock development projects and advises on all aspects from production to consumption.
- Cooperates with all relevant institutions and NGOs active in the sub-region, in particular the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI).
- Promotes the organization of, and participates in technical meetings with livestock research and educational institutions involved in the livestock sector.
- Assists in the identification and formulation of technical assistance programmes and projects and provides technical backstopping to the implementation of such projects.