Member input is crucial in international organizations because, without it, nations may not be able to implement. The Secretariat of the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) has established the world’s most open, transparent and inclusive international standard setting process but, as a consequence, it is a complex process which often requires huge resources and coordination.
In order to facilitate this process, the Secretariat has developed the Online Comment System (OCS) to allow the IPPC’s members to provide this important input, specifically for providing comments on draft standards.
The OCS has proven a successful tool since its launch in 2011 as:
- It strengthens support for countries’ and regions’ positions on certain subjects
- It facilitates the development of comments and sharing between stakeholders at a national, regional and international level
- It accelerates, simplifies and reduces human error in the compilation process
- Compiled comments are posted publicly for transparency
- It provides commenting statistics to the Secretariat
Other FAO staff, as well as other UN organizations, may share similar needs for the development and submission of comments on official documents and the IPPC Secretariat is working to make the system available to other interested parties at a minimal cost. The first collaboration has been established between the IPPC and the Codex Alimentarius Secretariats.
The IPPC Secretariat is ready for new collaborations with others that may require similar support systems. For more information and requests for demonstrations, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to view the OCS website: ocs.ippc.int
FAQs for IPPC OCS users are available at: https://www.ippc.int/faq/#OnlineCommentSystem