The guideline covers aspects such as the scoping of the inventory, the identification of key inventory sectors, development of inventory methodologies, the preparation of an inventory work plan and the practical aspects of completing a detailed inventory. The guideline aims at developing the practical skills necessary to allow users to provide accurate information to the FAO Pesticide Stock Management System (PSMS).
The guideline is supported by a series of detailed training modules. To download a copy of the guideline click here.
The EMTK is presented as three complimentary volumes.
- Volume 1 provides a system for using inventory data to make objective decisions on the risk posed by obsolete pesticides in a country. The guideline provides a mechanism for the prioritisation of stores based on a series of risk factors. This guideline forms the basis of the PSMS risk analysis.
- Volume 2 provides guidance on the selection and management of storage centres and transport of obsolete pesticides.
- Volume 3 provides guidance on the use of inventory and risk analysis data, storage plans and transport information to allow the formation of a site specific environmental management plan (EMP) at High Risk locations.
- Volume 4 provides practical advice on how to implement the strategy with minimum impact on public health and the environment.
Above guidelines are supported by a series of detailed training modules. To download a copy of the guidelines click here
Revised guidelines on the selection of disposal options for obsolete pesticide waste have been prepared. The guidelines focus on the process for selection of the most appropriate option given local operating conditions and the type of waste.
The guideline is in the final stages of preparation and is currently under review by the Africa Stockpiles Disposal Technology Team prior to release. The finalised document should be ready for posting on the web site by the end of 2007.
Please check back soon or email OPGroup@fao.org for further information.
The safeguarding guideline deals with issues such as:
- Safe working procedures;
- Task Based Risk Assessment:
- Development of a safeguarding strategy;
- Standard Field Operating Procedures;
- Communications and management.
The guideline is supported by a series of detailed training modules. To download a copy of the guidelines click here
UN FAO training on the supervision of pesticide safeguarding activities take place in Cape Town, South Africa between the dates of 30th November and 10th December 2010.
The course covers the development of safeguarding and disposal strategies for obsolete pesticides based on real data collected previously in each country. The outputs from this work will then be used to look at the tools which can be applied to support project management units in the supervision of activities in the field to ensure that they are in full compliance with international best practice for worker safety and environmental protection. Activities will be based on the tool developed in Environmental Management Tool Kit volumes 3 and 4 which are in the final stages of editing prior to official publication.