This programme is born out of the interest of the Government of Brazil and FAO to share experiences and lessons learned in achieving the Millennium Development Goals.
The programme aims to guide the development and implementation of regional projects in order to support triangular cooperation initiatives in areas such as public policies related to food and nutrition security and school feeding; agriculture, development of fisheries and aquaculture, forests, poverty reduction strategies and sustainable rural development for the benefit of developing countries.
The Spain-FAO programme seeks to strengthen the work of FAO technical assistance to countries and improve the efficiency/effectiveness of cooperation processes in support of the Hunger-Free Latin America and the Caribbean Initiative; working to strengthen the institutionalization and implementation of policies and programs for food and nutrition security; supporting policies for the development of family farming; and strengthening policies and strategies for the prevention, control and eradication of transboundary diseases such as Foot and Mouth Disease.
Also promotes the creation of spaces for dialogue and civil society participation; with efforts to harmonize the Spanish Cooperation and other donors to concrete relevant actions in target countries, while encouraging national appropriation.
The project provides support in the development of food and nutrition security by working with governments, parliaments, civil society and regional integration bodies. Technical backstopping is provided in institutional strengthening, design and implementation of regulatory frameworks, public policy, plans programmes and actions for hunger eradication, as well as resource allocation schemes in line with the magnitude of the problem in each country.
The PESA is one of the high priority initiatives of FAO to contribute to the fulfillment of the agreements of the World Food Summits (1996 and 2002), and the commitments of the Millennium Declaration of reducing hunger by half by 2015. This initiative aims to support countries that have food insecurity with attention to the most vulnerable population. PESA projects are conceived as instruments to promote effective solutions to eradicate hunger, undernourishment and poverty.
- TCP/RLA/3403: Pueblos Indígenas y Políticas Públicas de Seguridad Alimentaria y Nutricional en América Latina
- TCP/CHI/3303: Fortalecimiento de las ferias libres para la comercialización agroalimentaria
- UTF/017/ARG: Institutional Development for Investment
- TCP/RLA/3501: Fortalecimiento del sistema de prevención y control de la Rabia Paralítica Bovina
- TCP/RLC/3405: Fortalecimiento de capacidades para la recuperación de pasturas degradadas y la reducción de riesgos ambientales y productivos ante el cambio climático en los sistemas de producción ganaderos y agrícola ganaderos
- UTF/028/CHI: Apoyo al diseño e implementación de un modelo de gestión del riesgo agroclimático