The AP Food Price and Policy Monitor is a monthly report tasked to monitor food prices in local markets and provide readers with up to date food/agricultural policy developments across the Asia Pacific region.
In the June 2014 issue, the AP Food Price and Policy Monitor identified following highlights:
- Regional general inflation was 6.1 percent in May and food price inflation 5 percent, ending the five consecutive months in which the pace of inflation slowed.
- Regional rice price index increased by 5.3 percent in nominal terms as prices continued to rise in South Asia (including India), East Asia and South East Asia.
- Wheat price indices in South Asia fell by 6.8 percent driven by an 8.3 percent drop in Pakistan.
- India expects to set a new record for foodgrain production at 264.4 million tonnes, with rice production estimated at 106.3 million tonnes, and wheat at 95.9 million tonnes.
- With water shortages affecting rice crops, Sri Lanka is providing subsidies to farmers to cultivate other crops.
- Indonesia is revising its rice subsidies programme to improve targeting and delivery of subsidized rice to over 15 million households.
- WEF and ASEAN launch Grow Asia Partnership to strengthen food security in ten Southeast Asian countries.