FAO is currently present through its Representations in the countries listed on this page. The main aim of these offices is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to address the root causes of hunger and malnutrition; to help them to develop their agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way.
Specific activities of the Country Offices are to:
- Implement FAO's field projects and participating to the development of the Field Programme by identifying and formulating new projects and by liaising with local donor representations.
- Help governments to prevent and assess the damage of disasters and assist them in reconstruction and rehabilitation of the agricultural sector.
- Carry out public awareness activities and support some important FAO campaigns such as TeleFood and the World Food Day.
- Provide assistance to technical and investment missions from FAO headquarters and from Regional or Sub-regional Offices to the country.
- Serve as the channel of FAO's services to governments and other partners (donors, NGOs, CSOs, research institutions, etc.).
- Keep FAO informed of major social and economic developments in the country and monitoring the situation of the agriculture sector in the country.
- Represent FAO before host governments and all partners involved in FAO activities.