The sixth e-mail conference (Conference 6) of the
FAO Electronic Forum on Biotechnology in Food and Agriculture ran 20 March 2001-13 May 2001. The theme of the
conference was: "The impact of intellectual property rights (IPRs) on food
and agriculture in developing countries".
The conference allowed more detailed and comprehensive discussion of a
topic that has been clearly shown to be of major interest to Forum members,
especially in Conferences 1 and 5.
The following areas were considered during this conference:
- What are the impacts of IPRs (positive or negative) for food and
agriculture in developing countries
- Compare the relative impacts in the animal, crop, fishery or forestry
- Are the impacts different for different countries or regions of the
- Are the impacts more substantial for some biotechnologies than for others
- If some of the impacts or consequences are negative for developing
countries, how can they be avoided or alleviated
- Whether the lack of an appropriate or harmonised IPRs system in a
developing country can have an impact on biotechnology transfer
Read full background document for Conference 6:
"The impact of intellectual property rights (IPRs) on food and agriculture in developing countries."
Take a look at the discussion so far of Conference 6.
See Update from The Forum Administrator, March 30.
Read the Long Summary Document of this conference.
Read the Short Summary Document of this conference.