This webpage of the FAO Biotechnology website brings together biotechnology policy documents from FAO members (currently with 191 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union). The majority are national policy documents, but regional (within country) documents are also included. Only documents available on the web are included. We provide the title, date and language(s) of the documents, as well as an indication of their size. We welcome any comments and would especially appreciate hearing from you about any missing or new documents (at email@example.com). This page was last updated in November 2011.
[Note, the documents do not tend to address agricultural biotechnology alone. In addition to the application of biotechnology to food and agriculture, most policy documents also tend to consider applications in other areas, such as pharmaceuticals and human health care, chemicals, textiles, mining, energy and environmental services.]
- Política de Desenvolvimento da Biotecnologia. Decree 6,041 signed by the President of Brazil on 8 February 2007 that creates the National Committee for Biotechnology and outlines a national policy for the sector. In Portuguese (35 pages, 271 KB).
- Life sciences and biotechnology - a Strategy for Europe. A strategy and action plan presented by the Commission of the European Communities, January 2002. Available in Danish, Dutch, English (35 pages), Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish.
- Gene Technology Strategy and Action Plan of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry 2003-2007. September 2003. Available in English [ - 125 KB] and Finnish [ - 222 KB].
- National Biotechnology Development Strategy. Released by the Department Of Biotechnology, Ministry Of Science and Technology, November 2007.
- Biotechnology Policy 2001 [ - 1.443 KB]. Produced by the Department of Industries and Commerce of the Government of Andhra Pradesh, India, April 2001. 27 pages, 1.4 MB.
- The Millennium Biotech Policy [ - 186 KB]. 2001. Produced by the Information Technology and Biotechnology Department of the Indian state of Karnataka. 22 pages.
- The Millennium Biotech Policy II [ - 3.050 KB]. 2009. Produced by the Department of Information Technology, Biotechnology and Science & Technology, Government of Karnataka, Bangalore (24 pages, 3 MB).
- Kerala Biotechnology Policy. 2003. Produced by the Government of Kerala.
- Maharashtra Biotechnology Policy 2001 [ - 52 KB]. Produced by the Government of Maharashtra State, India.
- Biotechnology Policy of Government of Tamil Nadu. 2000. Produced by the Industries Department of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
- National Biotechnology Policy [ - 1.529 KB]. Formulated by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation and launched by the Prime Minister in April 2005. In English, 8 pages, 1.5 MB.
- National Policy Document: Enabling the Safe Use of Biotechnology. October 1999. Ministry of Higher Education, Vocational Training, Science and Technology; Ministry of Environment and Tourism; Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Rural Development. 23 pages, 1.11 MB. Available in the following languages: English, Afrikaans, Damara, German, Oshiwambo, Rukwangali, Silozi and Otjiherero.
- Integral Policy Document on Biotechnology of the Netherlands. Presented by the Government to Parliament in September 2000. Available in Dutch (Integrale nota biotechnologie, 50 pages, 112 KB) and English [- 166 KB].
- National Programme and Policy on Agricultural and Forestry Biotechnology for Paraguay. 2011. The 36-page document, approved by the President of the Republic of Paraguay on 13 June 2011, was prepared by the Multisectoral Technical Group on Biotechnology and Biosafety (GTMSBB). This Group was coordinated by the Unit of International Trade and Integration (UCII) of the General Directorate of Planning of the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock (MAG). The Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA) acted as the Technical Secretariat of the Group. The preliminary draft was prepared under the FAO project "Support to Formulating a National Biotechnology Policy", carried out by the MAG's General Directorate of Planning with support from FAO in 2005. In Spanish (2.5 MB).
- National Biotechnology Policy. 2010. The Policy was developed jointly by the National Science Foundation (NSF) together with the National Science and Technology Commission (NASTEC) through an extensive consultation process, and adopted as the National Biotechnology Policy for Sri Lanka by the Cabinet of Ministers at its meeting held on 21 July 2010. In English.
| || |