What is the Agenda for Action?
The Agenda for Action will be a practical and implementable product for policy convergence and coordination. It will combine CFS-endorsed policy guidance with context-specific recommendations for action plans in order to improve food security in protracted crisis situations.
What are protracted crises?
Protracted crisis situations are recognized by SOFI 2010 and the High Level Expert Forum on Addressing Food Insecurity in Protracted Crises 2012 to be a special category. Common characteristics include:
• multiple underlying causes
• extreme levels of food insecurity
• weak governance and public administration
• breakdown of local institutions
• unsustainable livelihoods and food systems
It is recognized that a protracted crisis situation may be limited to a particular geographic area of a country, or a territory.
CFS 39, 2012
The CFS approved a consultative process including all relevant stakeholders to elaborate an Agenda for Action for Addressing Food Insecurity in Protracted Crises, building as appropriate on the elements provided in CFS 2012/39/7, which include:
• the critical role of country ownership and accountability for response strategies;
• the supporting role played by regional bodies in integrating food security into development and governance reform plans;
• the contribution of local social institutions, civil society and the private sector in addressing underlying causes;
• the role of governance, fragility and peace-building processes and approaches;
• the contribution of food security in addressing state fragility and conflict resolution;
• the need for more flexible, responsive and stable funding mechanisms and investment vehicles;
• the opportunities presented by resilience-building programming and approaches to develop integrated strategies addressing both short-term food security needs and longer-term structural causes;
• prioritization of actions based on results-based approaches and realistic objectives to increase stakeholder accountability.
The Agenda for Action will be presented to CFS 41 in 2014 for endorsement.