Cette page n'est pas encore disponible en français.
Gender and Climate-Smart Agriculture
FAO welcomes everyone interested in climate-smart agriculture and equity to join an online learning event from 30 January to 18 February 2014. The Programme of the event consists of three webinars (90 minutes each) and online discussions on the linkages between gender, agriculture and climate change. The event is organized within the Community of Practice for Climate Change Mitigation in Agriculture of the MICCA Programme in collaboration with colleagues and partners. Enrolled participants will receive more details prior to the event, including invitations to the webinars.
Enrol now for the learning event!
View programme and announcement of the learning event
Webinar 1: Gender equality in agriculture and changing climate Thursday, 30 January 2014, 14–15:30 (GMT +1)
• Introduction to the learning event – Maria Nuutinen, FAO
• Introduction to the topic and presenting the agenda – Facilitator Soma Chakrabarti, IFAD
• Use of Training Guide for Gender and Climate Change Research in Agriculture and Food Security for Rural
Development – Sibyl Nelson, FAO
• Highlights from the workshop on Gender and Climate-Smart Agriculture in Southeast Asia – Maria Lee, WOCAN
Webinar 2: Gender-sensitive practices for Climate-Smart Agriculture? Wednesday, 5 February 2014, 10–11:30 (GMT +1)
• Introduction to the topic and presenting the agenda – Facilitator Dalia Mattioni, FAO
• Gender sensitive climate-smart agriculture practices – Patti Kristjanson & Nafisa Ferdous, CCAFS
• Gender dimensions of adopting climate-smart aquaculture – Miranda Morgan, World Fish
Webinar 3: Next steps for Gender in Climate-Smart Agriculture Tuesday, 18 February 2014, 14–15:30 (GMT +1)
• Introduction to the webinar and presenting the agenda – Facilitator Dalia Mattioni, FAO
• Carbon code, gender and food security – Jeannette Gurung, WOCAN
• Facilitated discussion on the lessons learned and the output of the event
• Closure of the learning event
Key questions of the learning event
- Why gender matters when enhancing food security and increasing the uptake of climate-smart agriculture practices?
- What are the available tools that can help gather information on gender, and advance gender mainstreaming in agriculture?
- What are the best case studies of gender-sensitive climate-smart agriculture practices?
- What kind of climate-smart policies, financing structures and practices are needed for more equality in the agriculture sector?
Key background reading
Training Guide for Gender and Climate Change Research in Agriculture and Food Security for Rural Development (available in English, French and Spanish)
You can participate by joining the Community of Practice of climate change mitigation in agriculture.
Aside from participation in the webinars, discussions can be carried out through participants’ own e-mail account once enrolled in the community and/or on our LinkedIn forum.
See previous webinars and presentations of our previous learning events: