Events on peatlands and climate change mitigation
Photo: Inken PreussFacilitated online discussion:
Tuesday 30 September to Tuesday 7 October, 2014
Wednesday 1 October at 10:00–11:30 hrs (Time zone CEST)
The MICCA Programme welcomes especially practitioners, land managers, policy makers, entrepreneurs, researchers and civil society actors involved or interested in responsible peatlands management and climate change mitigation within the agriculture and forestry sectors. You can participate directly through your computer.
Enrol now through this link to our web form.
Topics to be discussed
- Characteristics of responsible management of peatlands
- Paludiculture options for responsible utilization of peatlands
- Peatland reed biomass for use in construction and energy sectors
- Sustainable grazing for peatlands restoration
- Outlook: Priority actions and requirements for responsible peatlands management
Key questions of the event
- What kinds of peatland management practices can be considered responsible (in terms of climate change mitigation, livelihoods and ecosystem services)?
- How much of greenhouse gas emission reductions can be achieved through these practices?
- What are the benefits and costs of these practices?
Objectives of the event
- Evaluate negative consequences of unsustainable peatlands management for livelihoods, climate change and environmental services,
- Define the concept of responsible management and priority requirements for its implementation, and
- Present case studies of responsible management from different regions.
Background reading for the event
MICCA Series 5: Peatlands – guidance for climate change mitigation by conservation, rehabilitation and sustainable use (second edition, 2012)
Webinar: Towards Climate-Responsible Peatlands Management
FAO welcomes everyone interested in responsible peatlands management to take review the recorded webinars and presentation slides below. On October, 2013, MICCA’s Community of Practice on Climate Change Mitigation in Agriculture hosted an online webinar for practitioners, policy makers, entrepreneurs, researchers and civil society organizations.
Presentations and recordings from the webinar
*Recordings may take a few seconds to load due to heavy content.
More recorded webinars and online learning event from the Community of Practice
Join the Community of Practice to participate
You can participate by joining the Community of practice Peatlands and climate change also through our web form.
Aside from participation in the webinars, discussions can be carried out through participants’ own e-mail account once enrolled in the community and/or on our LinkedIn forum.
See webinars and presentations of our previous learning events: