Ethiopia: Enabling pastoral communities to adapt to climate change and restoring rangeland environments
This joint programme will enable pastoral communities dependent on climate dependent livestock farming to better adapt to climate variability and climate change. This will be achieved through development and implementation of consolidated adaptation programme including alternative income generation opportunities; improving rangeland management; raising awareness of stakeholders on adaptation options; empowering pastoral communities to better participate in decision making related to their livelihoods and integrating these options in relevant plans and policies.
Implementation period: October 2009 - October 2013
The Outcomes and Outputs of this Joint Programme are:
Outcome 1: Climate change mitigation and adaptation options mainstreamed into national development frameworks (policies, strategies and programmes)
- Output 1.1.: Improved national/ regional/ local development plans, key sector policies, strategies and partnership to mainstream climate change mitigation and adaptation options into policy frameworks
- Output 1.2.: Tools/ guidelines for mainstreaming climate change adaptation and mitigation into federal, regional and district development planning system developed
Outcome 2: Institutional capacities strengthened
- Output 2.1.: Federal/Regional/ district and pastoral communities' institutions capacities and service delivery to respond to pastoralist community needs enhanced
Outcome 3: Pastoral community coping mechanism/ sustainable livelihood enhanced
- Output 3.1.: Climate sensitive needs identified, assessed and priority interventions agreed
- Output 3.2.: Integrated Rangeland Management practices promoted in the targeted districts for better livelihoods and copping with adverse climatic effects
- Output 3.3.: A system that enhance income generating capacity of the pastoralist communities in the target villages to cope up with climate change related livelihood risks established and made functional in selected villages of the targeted six districts
In this programme FAO is mainly involved in the implementation of Outputs 2.1., and 3.1.
More detailed information on this programme