APPENDIX I: WORKSHOP AGENDA
30 November - 4 December 1998
MONDAY 30 NOVEMBER
· Welcome address by the Zimbabwean Chairman (Mr. Crispen Marunda);
· Welcome remarks by Mr. Phillip Kariwo, General Manager, PC;
· Welcome remarks by Ms. Monzi, Italian Embassy;
· Photo session (Mr. Sibanda);
· Welcome and introductory address by Co-Chairman (Mr. J. Ball): Objectives and functions of socio-economic and forestry statistical information; Role and activities of FAO Forestry Department; and Objectives of the project and workshop;
· Review of workshop documents (Mr. Peter Lowe);
· African Forestry and Wildlife Commission Initiative on Forestry Statistics Development (Mr. Charles Omoluabi);
· Presentation by FSTCU Representative - SADC Region overview - Mr. Sam Karnya;
· The Forestry Situation in Africa by FAO Forestry Officer (Regional Office for Africa);
· Presentation of FAO's Forest Resources Assessment (FRA 2000) (Mr. Jim Ball);
· Reports of participants on the status of forestry statistics in their countries and its use in forest policy and planning;
· presentation - Angola;
· presentation - Botswana;
· Visit of FITC sawmill;
· Evening: Introduction of all participants and welcome party.
TUESDAY 1 DECEMBER
· Continuation of previous session: Reports of participants on the status of forestry statistics in their countries and their use in policy and planning;
· Country presentation for Lesotho;
· Country presentation for Malawi;
· Country presentation for Mozambique;
· Country presentation for South Africa;
· Country presentation for Swaziland;
· Country presentation for Zambia;
· Country presentation for Zimbabwe ;
· General discussion on trends in Southern Africa;
· Formation of groups for parallel sessions, terms of reference for the groups, election of Chair persons and rapporteurs;
· Parallel sessions on forest products and forest resources (for details see ANNEX).
· Voluntary Session on NWFPs and TOFs.
WEDNESDAY 2 DECEMBER
Morning and afternoon: Continue parallel sessions.
Afternoon: Conclude parallel sessions, including preparation of parallel session reports.
Evening: Presentation of Parallel Sessions Report in plenary.
THURSDAY 3 DECEMBER
Morning: 1. Plenary session to discuss out-come of parallel sessions;
2. Review of the results; and
3. Workshop report and country reports; lead by FAO Forestry Officer (Reg. Office).
Afternoon: Field visit (Field visit to John Meikles Forest Research Station Tree);
Evening: Discussion of Pilot Studies - Zimbabwe Delegates.
FRIDAY 4 DECEMBER 1998
1. Closing note by Co-Chairman on the use of forestry sector data and next steps to be implemented. Uses of forestry sector data (national and international uses; and public availability of data);
2. Next steps: Pilot Studies, Outlook Study Country Reports, Regional Outlook Study reports; and capacity building and assistance needs; and
3. Conclusions and recommendations by the Chairman; evaluation of the workshop.
- Afternoon: Farewell toast and lunch; and
Departure to Harare.
Items for Review in Parallel Sessions
Forest Resources Information
· Methodology (definitions, model, etc.)
· Means of dissemination
Needed Forest Resource Information
· Forest area: Type, disturbance, species group, availability for wood supply, ownership and management, eco-floristic zone, protection status, change
· Forest Plantations: Area, species, ownership, function, etc.
· Volume and biomass: Biomass, growing stock, commercial volume, increment, losses, fellings and removals, change
· Forest health, forest fires
· Non-wood forest products
· Trees outside forests
Needed Model data
· Sub-national units, Population data
· Local, FAO
Review of local data availability
· Country by country
Review of constraints
· Statistics on Fuelwood
· Statistics on non-wood forest products
· Survey methods
· Working Group
· Production and trade statistics of industrial roundwood, sawnwood, wood residues, panels, pulp and paper
· Yearbook of Forest Products
· Capacity & price statistics, conversion factor
· Working Group
Forestry Statistics and IT today
· Data structure, classification and definition
· Collection, processing and dissemination of forestry statistics
· Demonstration: National and international. exchange of forestry statistics and the role of national focal points
· Working Group
Country by Country data review
· Hands on use of FAO electronic questionnaires
· Historical country data review