Monday 23 October
· 08 :00 Enrolment of participants;
· 09 :30 Official opening Ceremony;
- Welcome address by UNEP, Mr Bai-Mass Taal (text in Annex II)
- Welcome address by the FAO Representative in Kenya, Mr Gustafson (text in Annex II)
- Welcome remarks and official opening of the workshop by the Kenyan Authority, Mr D. Mbugua, Deputy Chief Conservator of Forests (text in Annex II)
- Photo session (Picture of the group of participants);
- Introduction by the Chair of the Workshop , Mr Pape Kone, FAO Regional Office for Africa ;
- Programme framework and workshop objectives:
- Presentation of the Partnership Programme EC-FAO, Mr P. Koné, FAO RAF (text in Annex IV);
- Presentation of the Wood Energy Planning and Policy Development Component, (M. Trossero);
- Presentation of workshop objectives (M. Trossero);
Afternoon session Chair: Mr Philippe Girard, CIRAD-Forêt· Diagnostic of existing capabilities to generate wood energy information and statistics
Evening session· Welcoming Cocktail Reception offered by UNEP.
Tuesday 24 October
session (8h30) Chair: Mr Yinka Adebayo, UNEP
· Continuation of the presentation of country reports on national capabilities to generate Wood Energy information.
- Mozambique, Mr P. D. Mangue
- Namibia, Mr M. Chakanga
- Lesotho, Ms. N. L. Masilo
- Presentation of Uganda Pilot Study, Mr J. T. Tumuhimbise
- Presentation on Malawi, Mr R.F.E. Mumba, FSTCU
Afternoon session: Chair: Mr K. Kareko
· Related activities of international/regional agencies and projects
Mamadou DIANKA, Technical Secretary of RPTES' Group Africaine d'Appui (GAA).
· CIRAD-Forêt by Dr. Philippe Girard, Head of Energy-Environment Unit.
· Activities carried out by FAO on wood energy issues:
- FAO Wood Energy Programme, Mr M. A. Trossero
- Presentation of the Unified Wood Energy Terminology (UWET)5 developed by FAO Wood Energy Programme, and other assessment tools/guidelines, Mr M. A. Trossero
- Presentation of FAO Regional Study "The Role of Wood Energy in Africa" 6, Mr S. Amous
Wednesday 25 OctoberMorning session (8h30): Chair: Mr E. Araya
Thursday 26 October
Friday 27 October
Morning session(8:30) Chair: Michel Laverdiere
· Work groups activities continued.
· Review of critical/priority issues in wood energy sector Individual expression of priority ranking through questionnaire. Results are reported in Annex V.
· Participants' evaluation of the workshop.
· Separate presentation of conclusions and remarks on the proposed themes from the two. work groups.
· Presentation and discussion on the summary results from the questionnaire on priority/critical wood energy issues.
· Presentation and discussion of the recommendations and of the plan of action resulting from the integration of the conclusions from the two work groups.
· Evaluation of the workshop;
Official closure of the workshop· Conclusions and recommendations by Chair of the workshop
5 Ref.: Unified Wood Energy Terminology (UWET), FAO 2000. Document distributed to all participants.
6 Ref.: Wood Energy Today for Tomorrow (WETT), The Role of Wood Energy in Africa (FAO, July 1999) by S. Amous. Document distributed to all participants
7 Ref.: Review of Wood Energy reports from ACP African Countries, FAO 2000, by R. Drigo. Document distributed to all participants.