Job description for field extension officers
1. Basic function
- To execute and manage day-to-day aspects of crops within the area of responsibility as defined by the Extension Manager.
2. Skills required
- Ability to motivate farmers and impart knowledge to them in order to achieve desired production targets.
- Knowledge and experience of general agricultural practices.
- Ability to compile periodic progress reports.
- Ability to use and maintain farm implements.
3. Working relationships
- Reports directly to the Extension Manager who is responsible for all Company projects.
- Maintains contact with all Company field and clerical staff.
- Supervises farmers and external ploughing contractors directly.
4. Specific duties and responsibilities
- Implement planting programmes and check that farmers do not exceed allocated quotas.
- Organize all field cultivation ensuring that the required standard is maintained.
- Supply (and invoice) farmers with all the agreed inputs, fertilizers, chemicals, insecticides, etc., ensuring that issues do not exceed the required amount.
- Be conversant with the overall Company policy in respect of a particular crop's diversification objectives.
- Buy the farmers' crops in accordance with the buying policy and procedure for that particular crop.
- Participate and contribute in all the programmes conducted by the training manager.
- Submit stock returns and notify stock clerk of any obsolete or damaged product.
- Carry out any other duty as required by the Company.
5. Key performance measures
- Effective implementation of Company's policies and timely implementation of duties.
- Ability to lead and motivate farmers.
- Maintenance of positive contacts with farmer representatives and promotion of good farmer relationships.