Look after yourself
- The body needs extra rest. Try to sleep for eight hours every night. Rest whenever you are tired.
- Try not to worry too much. Stress can harm your immune system. Relax more. Relax with people you love, your family, your children and your friends. Do things you enjoy, e.g. listen to music or read a newspaper or a book.
- Be kind to yourself. Try to keep a positive attitude. Feeling good is part of being healthy.
- Take light exercise. Choose a form of exercise that you enjoy.
- Find support and get good advice. Ask for information and assistance from health workers. Many of your medical problems can be treated.
- Ask for help and accept help when it is offered.
- Stop smoking. Smoking damages the lungs and makes it easier for infections to attack your body.
- Alcohol is harmful to your body. You may forget to practise safe sex.
- Avoid unnecessary medicines. They often have unwanted side-effects and can interfere with food and nutrition. If you do take medicines, read the instructions carefully.