Having discussed field experiences in communication for
development in Mali, Guinea-Bissau, Burkina Faso and Niger, and the design and
implementation of a National Communication for Development Policy (NCDP);
Having analysed the problems encountered in the implementation
of the NCDPs in the different countries.
The participants recommend that:
- ECOWAS member countries include communication for development as a priority
in government activities and as a factor in political, economic, social and
cultural development. To this end, communication for development should be
an integral part of all national programmes and policies.
- Each states ensure articulation between the national Poverty Alleviation
Strategy and the NCDP to increase the impact of development programmes and
projects on grassroots communities.
- The NCDP coordinating structure be housed within an autonomous and credible
institution capable of guaranteeing efficiency and functionality.
- All development projects and programmes include an adequately financed
communication component (allocated about 8 - 12 percent of the overall cost
of the project or programme).
- The different development actors be trained in communication for development.
- States wishing to implement a National Communication for Development Policy
create, in all ministerial departments and public institutions, communication
units mandated to prepare and implement sectoral communication strategies.
- Special consideration be given to monitoring and evaluation throughout
the NCDP implementation process.
- ECOWAS urge the governments of member countries to design and implement
- States which design NCDPs assign competent personnel and adequate financial
and material resources to them to ensure sustainability.
- A conference of ECOWAS ministers in charge of Information/ Communication
be convened to examine the results and recommendations of the Niamey workshop.
The workshop also came up with the following suggestions for
countries interested in NCDP design and implementation:
- Present to development actors the experiences
gained by other countries in order to arouse the interest of national
- Organize a seminar for the design of NCDPs for the leaders
of the countries;
- Organize mini-workshops for partners, institutions and civil
society organizations at each step of the preparation and implementation
Niamey, 5 April 2002