The workshop aimed to achieve the following objectives:
1. To compile information and knowledge on the current status, nature and extent of tropical secondary forests in (Anglophone) Africa.
2. To assess the ecological, economic and social importance of tropical secondary forests in the region.
3. To identify the dynamics (underlying causes, processes, use patterns) leading to their formation and transformation.
4. To take stock of the current policies, actual knowledge and practical experiences related to secondary forest management.
5. To assess the main constraints, needs and possibilities of further development of secondary forest management.
6. To identify the management, policy and research priorities and recommend immediate actions to be taken for the development and wider application of sustainable secondary forest management options.