Report of an
Rome, 26 February - 1 March 1985
FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANIZATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS
B. Purpose of the Consultation
D. Major Issues Discussed
II. SUMMARY OF DISCUSSION
A. What are the major problem areas faced by rural youth and young farmers?
1. Education and Training for Self-Reliance
B. What are the major problem areas faced by those who work with cural youth?
1. Traininq (Pre-Service and In-Service)
C. How can governments best address the problems areas and constraints related to progranmes for rural youth and young farmers?
1. The development of national policy
2. The provision of adequate training
3. The provision of adequate support
D. now can FAO, as a technical organization with limited resources, be of assistance in strengtlmftinq pro- grammes for rural youth and young fanners?
1. The use of expert personnel and advisory services.
2. Catalytic role and stimulating further activities.
3. Promoting exchanges of experiences and informa- tion.
4. Producing and distributing instructional materials and teaching aids.
5. Assistance in the traininq of Organizers and lea- ders of rural youth and young farmer programmes.
6. Technical cooperation among develoning countries.
ANNEX I Opening Remarks - Mr. R. Moreno, Director, Human Resources, Institutions and Agrarian Reform Division, FAO, Rome.
ANNEX II Rural Youth and Young Farmers - An FAO Perspective, Agricultural Education and Extension Service, Human Resources, Institutions and Agrarian Reform Division, FAO, Rome.
ANNEX III Some Priority Issues Related to Rural Youth in Developing Countries. Mr. J. Bazinet, Interregional Adviser on Youth Policies and Programmes, United Nations, Vienna.
ANNEX IV Appropriate Training For Womens' Development Another Trap? Mrs. A. Roy, SWRC Tilonia, Ajmer Disctrict, Rajasthan, India.
ANNEX V Reaching Rural Young Women - Dr. J. A. Peters, Senior Lecturer, Home Economics, Bath College of Higher Education, Bath, U.K.
ANNEX VI Rural Young Women - Their Situation and Meeting Their Needs - Mrs. A. L. Makwavarara, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Community Development and Womens' Affairs, Harare, Zimbabwe.
ANNEX VII List of Participants.