Hundred and Twenty-fourth Session
Rome, 23-28 June 2003
TERMS OF REFERENCE OF
1. Following the adoption by the Conference, at its Twenty-ninth Session, in November 1997, of Resolution 13/97 entitled “Review of FAO Statutory Bodies”, the Fishery Committee for the Eastern Central Atlantic (CECAF) initiated a process of review of its mandate, functions and structure. In particular, at its Fifteenth Session, held in Abuja, Nigeria, from 1 to 3 November 2000, the Committee requested that a Technical Consultation on the Future of the Fishery Committee for the Eastern Central Atlantic be convened. This Technical Consultation was held in Lagos, Nigeria, from 27 to 30 November 2001.
2. The Technical Consultation noted that the Committee had been established by the Director-General, on 19 September 1967, under Article VI, paragraph 2 of the FAO Constitution, pursuant to Resolution 1/48 of the Forty-eighth Session of the Council, in 1967. The Technical Consultation also noted that, in November 1992, at its Hundred and Second Session, the Council approved amendments to the Terms of Reference for CECAF and authorized the Director-General to promulgate the amendments to the Terms of Reference. These amendments had been made necessary by a number of developments that had taken place in the fishery situation in West Africa.
3. The Technical Consultation also noted that, since then, further changes had taken place in West African fisheries which should be reflected in the Terms of Reference of the Committee. In particular, the Consultation was of the view that CECAF should be entrusted with wider scientific and technical functions, but these should concentrate on a few key priority areas with regional or sub-regional focus, taking also into account matters falling within the purview of the Regular Programme. The Technical Consultation identified, among these priority areas, resource evaluation and inventory, co-ordination of research activities, development and maintenance of databases and related matters, assistance in fisheries management, advice on monitoring, control and surveillance, especially as regards issues of regional and sub-regional interest. The Technical Consultation proposed that this be reflected in revised Terms of Reference, which it referred for consideration by the Committee.
4. At its Sixteenth Session, held in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain, from 22 to 24 October 2002, the Committee welcomed the proposals made by the Technical Consultation. The Committee endorsed the proposed revised Terms of Reference as set out in the attached annex and recommended their adoption.
5. The Council is invited to review the proposals in the light of the recommendation made by CECAF and, if it is so decided, to authorize the Director-General to promulgate the revised Terms of Reference of the Committee under the terms of Article VI, paragraph 2 of the FAO Constitution, pursuant to Resolution 1/48 of the Forty-eighth Session of the FAO Council.
The purpose of the Committee shall be to promote the sustainable utilization of the living marine resources of the area defined under paragraph I above, by the proper management and development of the fisheries and fishing operations.
To this end, it shall have the following functions and responsibilities: