|FC 97/1 - Add.1
Rome, 17 - 22 September 2001
Annotated Provisional Agenda
This document does not constitute an invitation to the session. While complete sets of documents cannot be provided, one copy of specific committee documents can be provided upon written request.
1. Adoption of Agenda and Timetable (docs FC 97/1; FC 97/1-Add.1; FC 97/INF/1) for decision
In accordance with the internal working procedures, the Provisional Timetable provides for discussion at the beginning of the meeting of those items on which the Committee is required to make decisions or recommendations to the Council
2. Programme of Work and Budget 2002-03 (doc. C 2001/3) for decision
In accordance with General Rules XXVII 7(a) and XXVIII the Committee will review the Director-General's proposals for the Programme of Work and Budget for 2002-2003. It is expected that the Finance Committee will consider the financial aspects of the Programme of Work and Budget, such as financial framework, budgetary framework (including cost increases, impact of exchange rates, lapse factor, etc.), Chapters 5 and 6, without concerning itself with the merits of the Programme. The comments of the Committee will be forwarded to the Council together with those of the Programme Committee
3. Programme and Budgetary Transfers in the 2000-2001 Biennium (doc. FC 97/3) for decision
In accordance with Financial Regulation IV, paragraph 4.5(b) (i), the Committee will be requested to review and approve the Director-General's proposals for inter-chapter transfers within the budget for the 2000-2001 biennium.
4. Protection of the Programme of Work and Budget against Exchange Rate Fluctuations (doc. FC 97/4) for discussion
The Finance Committee at its last session considered the issue of how best to protect the Programme of Work against variations in exchange rates. The Committee was informed that, given the complexity of the matter, the secretariat planned to seek expert advice via one of the major international accounting firms. Accordingly, the Committee agreed that it would be preferable to defer the matter, so as to benefit from the expert opinions before reaching its final decision. This present paper is intended to bring the Committee up-to-date on actions taken since its last session and, in particular, to inform the Committee of action taken to protect the Programme of Work for 2002-03 against currency fluctuations.
5. Report on Support Cost Expenditure and Recoveries (doc. FC 97/5) for information
Following the endorsement of the new support cost reimbursement policy by the Council in November 2000 and the approval of reporting arrangements by the Finance Committee, this paper provides the required annual report and informs the Committee on the implementation of the new policy and, in the light of experience with its application, seeks the Committee's agreement to minor modifications to the policy.
6. Financial Highlights (doc. FC 97/6) for discussion
The Financial Highlights Report is a new report for the Finance Committee presented for the first time at the May 2001 session. It is designed to show, at a summary level, the financial highlights of the Organisation. In terms of the structure of the report, there are three groupings of data: income and expenditure by source of funds, the plan (budget) for particular sources of funds and balances for the comparative period in the previous biennium.
7. Collection of Current Assessments and Arrears (doc. FC 97/7) for discussion
This document presents the status of member nation contributions to the Regular Programme as at 30 June 2001.
8. Report on Investments 2000 (doc. FC 97/8) for information
In accordance with Financial Regulation 9.2 and General Rule XXVII 7(i), the Committee will receive reports on investments currently held in respect of the above-referenced funds for its information.
9. Liabilities for After Service Medical Coverage for decision
This paper had been prepared on request of the Finance Committee for its Ninety-sixth Session. The purpose of this paper is to highlight the past decisions of the Finance Committee on the subject, the actions taken by the Secretariat and the status of implementation. It also provides an overview of the proposals on the way forward for discussion and decision by the Finance Committee.
10. Incentive Scheme to Encourage Payment of Contributions - Determination of Discount Rate (doc. FC 97/10) for decision
The Committee will receive details of the impact of the Incentive Scheme during the first quarter of 2001 and proposed discount rate to be used in applying credits to 2002 assessments.
11. Audited Accounts
12. Progress Report on Implementation of the External Auditor's Recommendations (doc. FC 97/12) for discussion
As requested by the Committee, a report will be provided on actions taken in respect of recommendations made by the External Auditor in his report on the 1998-99 accounts, as well as on a number of recommendations brought forward from previous biennia.
13. Review of Working Practices Regarding Appointment of the External Auditor (doc. FC 97/13) for discussion
At its ninety-sixth session, the Finance Committee requested that the agenda of its next session include an item covering further refinement of procedures to be applied when selecting and appointing the External Auditor. The paper will provide background information and identify issues the Committee may wish to address.
14. Scale of Contributions 2002-2003 (doc. FC 97/14) for decision
In response to the request of the 120th Session of the Council, the Committee will be provided with information on the criteria used to establish the UN Scale of Assessments
15. Report on Human Resources Management Issues (docs. FC 97/15, C 2001/51 - paras 104- 134 and CL 120/INF/132) for discussion
Statistics of Personnel Services (doc. FC 97/15(a))
In response to it's request at its 95th session, the Committee will be provided with information on the background against which FAO's human resources management reform efforts have been undertaken and which must be considered in developing human resources strategies and policies. In light of that background, a summary of specific human resources objectives for FAO will be provided, along with information on some of the recent and planned reform initiatives in key areas of human resources management. In line with normal practice, the Committee will also be provided with a report on the number of established posts and other personnel services as at 30 June 2001.
16. Recommendations and Decisions of the ICSC and UN Joint Staff Pension Board (doc. FC 97/16) for discussion
In accordance with standard practice, the Committee will be informed of any developments which took place at the ICSC and the Pension Board which are of interest to this Organization. In particular, the Committee will be requested to endorse the recommendations of the ICSC on the general service salary survey conducted in Rome in November 2000 and forward them to the Council for approval.
17. UN Joint Inspection Unit Reports for information
The above documents will be provided to the Committee for information and any comments it may wish to make to the Council.
18. Second Progress Report on the Implementation of Recommendations in the 1998-1999 Audit Report of the External Auditor (doc. FC 97/18) for discussion
The Committee will recall that the first progress report on the implementation of the recommendations in the 1998-1999 Audit Report of the WFP External Auditor was incorporated into document FC 95/20, considered at the September 2000 session. As requested by the Committee, a further report will be provided on actions taken in respect of these recommendations.
19. WFP Biennial Budget for the period 2002-2003 (doc. FC 97/19) for discussion
In accordance with WFP General Regulation 30 and Financial Regulation 6.3, the Committee will review the biennial budget proposed by the Executive Director for 2002-2003. Any comment the Committee wishes to make will be submitted to the Executive Board.
20. Appointment of the External Auditor of WFP for 2002-2005 (doc. FC 97/20) for discussion
The Committee will be requested to provide its advice on the recommendation of the Evaluation Panel, formally designated by the Executive Board, for the appointment of the External Auditor of WFP for 2002-2005. Any comment the Committee wishes to make will be submitted to the Executive Board.
21. Management and Accounting of full Cost Recovery in WFP Information Network and Global System (WINGS) (doc. FC 97/21) for information
The Committee will have before it, for information, a document which presents the new corporate information system (WINGS) processes and features and explains how the system will provide for an improved management and accounting of full cost recovery under the Resources and Long-Term Financing Policies. The Committee may wish to comment on the information contained in the document.
22. Working Methods of the Finance Committee (no document) for discussion
In accordance with the standard practice of the Committee, members will be given an opportunity to comment on the functioning of the session and to make suggestions for future improvements
23. Date and Place of Ninety-eighth Session for information
The Committee will be informed of arrangements for its next session.
24. Any Other Matters
1 Document C 2001/5 has already been distributed for the 96th Session
2 Document CL 120/INF/13 has already been distributed for the 96th Session