Whereas the Constitution of the Food and Agriculture Organization (hereinafter referred to as FAO) provides that the Organization may enter into agreements with other international organizations with related activities in order to define methods of co-operation; and
Whereas the Convention of the Intergovernmental Maritime Consultative Organization (hereinafter referred to as IMCO) provides that the Organization shall co-operate with any specialized agency of the United Nations in matters which may be the common concern of the Organization and of such specialized agency, and shall consider such matters and act with respect to them in accord with such specialized agency;
FAO and IMCO agree as follows:
CO-OPERATION AND CONSULTATION
FAO and IMCO agree that with a view to facilitating the effective attainment of the objectives set forth in the Constitution of FAO and the Convention of IMCO within the general framework established by the Charter of the United Nations, they will act in close co-operation with each other and will consult each other regularly in regard to matters of common interest.
1. Representatives of FAO shall be invited to attend the meetings of the IMCO Assembly and to participate without vote in the deliberations of the Assembly and of its commissions and committees with respect to items on their agenda in which FAO has an interest.
2. Representatives of IMCO shall be invited to attend the meetings of the FAO Conference and to participate without vote in the deliberations of the Conference and of its committees with respect to items on their agenda in which IMCO has an interest.
3. Representatives of FAO shall be invited to attend the meetings of the Council of IMCO and the Maritime Safety Committee, their subcommittees or commissions, and to participate without vote in the deliberations thereof with respect to items on their agenda in which FAO has an interest.
4. Representatives of IMCO shall be invited to attend meetings of the FAO Council, its committees or commissions, and to participate without vote in the deliberations thereof with respect to items on its agenda in which IMCO has an interest.
5. Appropriate arrangements shall be made by agreement from time to time for the reciprocal representation of FAO and IMCO at other meetings convened under their respective auspices which consider matters in which the other Organization has an interest.
FAO-IMCO JOINT COMMITTEES
1. FAO and IMCO may refer to a joint commission or committee any question of common interest which it may appear desirable to refer to such a committee.
2. Any such joint commission or committee shall consist of Member Nations and Associate Members or of representatives designated by each Organization, the type of representation and number of members being decided by agreement between the two Organizations.
3. The United Nations and other specialized agencies may also be invited to attend the meetings of joint commissions and committees and to participate without vote in their deliberations.
4. The reports of any such joint commission or committee shall be communicated to the Director-General of FAO and the Secretary-General of IMCO for submission to the appropriate body or bodies of the two Organizations.
5. Any such joint commission or committee shall regulate its own procedure.
EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTS
1. Subject to such arrangements as may be necessary for the safeguarding of confidential material, the fullest and promptest exchange of information and documents shall be made between FAO and IMCO.
2. The Director-General of FAO and the Secretary-General of IMCO, or their authorized representatives, shall, upon the request of either party, consult with each other regarding the provision by either Organization of such special information as may be of interest to the other.
CO-OPERATION BETWEEN SECRETARIATS
The secretariat of IMCO and the secretariat of FAO shall maintain a close working relationship in accordance with such arrangements as may have been agreed upon from time to time by the Director-General of FAO and the Secretary-General of IMCO.
ADMINISTRATIVE AND TECHNICAL CO-OPERATION
IMCO and FAO agree to consult each other from time to time regarding the most efficient use of personnel and resources and appropriate methods of avoiding the establishment and operation of competitive or overlapping facilities and service.
In view of the desirability of maximum co-operation in the statistical field and of minimizing the burden placed on national governments and other organizations from which information may be collected, IMCO and FAO undertake to avoid undesirable duplication between them with respect to the collection, compilation and publication of statistics and to consult with each other on the most efficient use of information, resources and technical personnel in the field of statistics.
FAO and IMCO agree that the measures to be taken by them, within the framework of the general arrangements for co-operation in regard to personnel matters to be made by the United Nations, will include:
measures to avoid competition in the recruitment of their personnel; and
measures to facilitate interchange of personnel on a temporary or permanent basis, in appropriate cases, in order to obtain the maximum benefit from their services, making due provision for the retention of seniority and and pension rights.
FINANCING OF SPECIAL SERVICES
If compliance with a request for assistance made by either Organization to the other would involve substantial expenditure for the Organization complying with the request, consultation shall take place with a view to determining the most equitable manner of meeting such expenditure.
IMPLEMENTATION OF THE AGREEMENT
1. The Director-General of FAO and the Secretary-General of IMCO may enter into such supplementary arrangements for the implementation of this Agreement as may be found desirable in the light of the operating experience of the two Organization.
2. The liaison arrangements provided for in the foregoing articles of this Agreement shall apply as far as appropriate to the relations between such branch or regional offices as may be established by the two Organizations as well as between their central machinery.
NOTIFICATION TO AND REGISTRATION BY THE UNITED NATIONS
1. In accordance with their respective agreements with the United Nations, FAO and IMCO will inform the Economic and Social Council forthwith of the terms of the present Agreement.
2. On the coming into force of the present Agreement, in accordance with the provisions of Article XIII, it will be communicated to the Secretary-General of the United Nations for filing and recording in pursuance of Article 10 of the Regulations to give effect to Article 102 of the Charter of the United Nations adopted by the General Assembly of the United Nations on 14 December 1946.
REVISION AND TERMINATION
1. This Agreement shall be subject to revision by agreement between FAO and IMCO.
2. The Agreement may be terminated by either party on 31 December of any year by notice given to the other party not later than 30 September of that year.
ENTRY INTO FORCE
This Agreement shall come into force on its approval by the Assembly of IMCO and by the FAO Council, subject to confirmation by the FAO Conference.