1. The Fifty-Second Session of the Council was held in Rome from 9 to 20 June 1969 under the Chairmanship of Mr. M. Gemayel.
2. The Council heard an introductory statement by the Director-General, the text of which may be found as Appendix D to this report.
3. The Agenda of the Session as adopted is set out in Appendix A to this report.
4. Mr. E.M. West (United Kingdom) and Mr. A. Maiga (Mali) were elected respectively First Vice-Chairman and Second Vice-Chairman.
5. The Council agreed that, in view of the invitation extended to hold the Seventh World Forestry Congress in the Soviet Union, the U.S.S.R. should be invited to attend in an observer capacity the discussions at the present session of the Council under Item 13 (b) of the Agenda “Seventh World Forestry Congress, 1972: Preliminary contacts with Governments wishing to host the Congress”1.
6. The Council paid tribute to the memory of David Lubin of the United States of America, founder of the International Institute of Agriculture in Rome in 1908, who died in Rome on 1 January 1919. Professor M. Cépède of France and Professor U. Papi of Italy recalled to the Council the eminent role played by David Lubin in promoting action in the field of agriculture.
1 See paras. 81–85 below.