1. The Sixty-Ninth Session of the Council was held in Rome from 12 to 16 July 1976, under the Chairmanship of G. Bula Hoyos, Independent Chairman of the Council.
2. The Agenda of the Session as adopted is given in Appendix A to this report. 2
3. The Council elected W.A.F. Grabisch (Germany, Fed. Rep. of) as First Vice-Chairman, and G. Gamo-Kuba (Congo) as Second Vice-Chairman.
4. The Council elected Salah Elabd (Egypt) as Chairman of the Drafting Committee, and the following as members: France, Gabon, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, United States of America.
5. The Council heard an introductory statement by the Director-General, the text of which is given in Appendix D to this report
6. The Council paid tribute to Dr. E.M. Ojala, Assistant Director-General, Economic and Social Policy Department, who was to retire at the end of September. It expressed deep appreciation for the work he had carried out during over 20 years of service with the Organization, and wished him, his wife and his family every happiness.
7. The Council noted with deep regret that Mr. F.E. Popper, Assistant Director-General Fisheries Department, would be retiring at the end of September 1976 after more than 22 years of service with the Organization. It thanked him for his long devotion and outstanding work in the field of fisheries, and wished him a happy retirement.
1 CL 69/1, CL 69/1 (a), CL 69/INF/1, CL 69/PV/1.
2 It was agreed to include as items on the Agenda of the next session of the Council the recommendations of the Fourteenth FAO Regional Conference for Latin America concerning the Regional Conferences, and the proposal made by the Federal Republic of Germany on the overhead expenses of experts in the Associate Expert Scheme.
3 CL 69/PV/1, CL 69/PV/3, CL 69/PV/7.
4 CL 69/INF/5, CL 69/PV/1.
5 CL 69/PV/6.
6 CL 69/PV/9.