THE AGRIS DATA BASE UTILIZATION POLICY
- The AGRIS data base represents a very large intellectual and financial investment
on the part of FAO and AGRIS participants. This AGRIS data base utilization policy has
been adopted to encourage access to information while safeguarding the rights of all
participants and providing a continuing incentive for their participation in the system.
- For the purpose of this data base utilization policy, AGRIS participating centres
are those providing input and comprise:
- each National Participating Centre: namely, the centre designated by the
Government concerned to participate in AGRIS;
- each Regional Participating Centre: namely, the centre designated by the
governments of countries in a region to channel the input of their National
Participating Centres to AGRIS;
- each International Participating Centre: namely, an intergovernmental or
international non-governmental organization that has entered into an agreement
with FAO to provide input for the AGRIS data base.
- Input to the AGRIS data base shall be provided free of charge. Participating
centres shall share with FAO any copyright or other exclusive rights that they may have
over their input. Copyright or other rights over the cumulative input provided by all
centres shall be exercised by FAO in the interests of all participants.
- Each participating centre shall have the right to receive, free of charge, one copy
of the monthly output of AGRIS in printed form and/or on magnetic tape.
- Each National Participating Centre may use the copy referred to under paragraph 4
- for its own internal purposes;
- in order to furnish services to users on the territory of its country, including the
provision (in reasonable quantities) of copies of records in the data base;
- to furnish the services referred to under (b) to users in any other country, if the
National Participating Centre in that country is notified of the services to be
provided and makes no objection;
- to produce and issue selective bibliographic publications from the AGRIS data
base or from the centre's own data base containing records derived from the
AGRIS data base, provided that no participating centre reproduces more than a
reasonable proportion of the records in the AGRIS data base, that notice is
given of the copyright vested in FAO and that AGRIS is appropriately acknowledged.
- The services referred to in paragraph 5 shall not be the subject of any charge for
the intellectual content of material derived from AGRIS.
- A Regional Participating Centre shall, without prejudice to any agreement between
the centre and the countries in the region concerned, have the same rights as each of the
National Participating Centres in the region.
- A National or Regional Participating Centre may exercise its rights directly and
also through any organization or organizations designated by it for the purpose.
- Subject to paragraph 6, an International Participating Centre shall have the rights
referred to in paragraph 5(a), (c) and (d).
- FAO may use the AGRIS data base to provide any service, and to produce any output
product for the Government of any Member Nation. FAO may furthermore authorize any other
organization in the United Nations system to exercise the rights referred to in para
- FAO may contract with any publisher it may choose for the publication of bibliographies based on the AGRIS data or any part thereof. FAO may license the publisher to
market the bibliographies on any terms on which they may agree.
- Each participating centre utilizing the AGRIS data base shall transmit to FAO an
annual report on such use, including services furnished. FAO shall make the information
provided available to all participating centres.