11. The Council approved the Calendar of 1988-89 Sessions of the Council and of those bodies which report to it on condition that some dates were to be considered provisional and subject to further consultation. The Calendar as approved is given in Appendix D to this Report.
12. In accordance with paragraphs B-1 and B-2 of the “Statement of Principles relating to the Granting of Observer Status to Nations” 3, the Council agreed to the request made by the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics to send an observer to. the following meetings of the Organization in 1988-89:
(a) FI-7O9 Second Session of the Sub-Committee on Fish Trade of the Committee on Fisheries.
(b) FI-732Ninth Session of the Indian Ocean Fishery Commission.
(c) FI-734 Tenth Session of the IOFC Committee for the Management of Indian Ocean Tuna.
(d) FI-785Fifth Session of the Working Party on Fishery Statistics of the Fishery Committee for the Eastern Central Atlantic.
13. In reply to questions raised by two members concerning TCP, the Secretariat confirmed that it was providing to Governments, on request, detailed information regarding TCP projects, including data by country and by category of project. Communication of project agreements, including those for TCP, to a country other than the beneficiary was subject to the concurrence of the beneficiary government. Regarding the Special Italian Contribution for TCP which had been announced during the Conference, the Council was informed that arrangements for its administration were still under discussion between the Italian Government and FAO, and the outcome would be communicated to the Finance Committee.
14. One member stated that his Government’s policy was to limit to two the number of terms of office of the heads of United Nations agencies. He was informed that this would require the amendment of the FAO Constitution and that the procedures for this were laid down in Article XX of the Constitution.
15. The Council decided that its Ninety-fourth Session should be convened in Rome from 15 to 25 November 1988.
1 CL 93/5; CL 93/PV/l
2CL 93/LIM/5; CL 93/PV/l.
3 See FAO Basic Texts, Volume II, Section L (Appendix)
6CL 93/5; CL 93/PV/l.