83.The Council having been informed that further consultations were taking place on this matter, decided to postpone the item until its next session in October in order to allow sufficient time for these consultations to be carried out successfully.
84. The Council approved the amendments to the Agreement for the Establishment of a Commission for controlling the Desert Locust in the Near East, as set forth in Appendix H to this Report.
85. The Council approved the above revised Statutes as set forth in Appendix I to this Report.
86. The Council paid tribute to the work of Mr Richard M. Stein, former Secretary of the CCLM, and wished him well in his retirement.
87. In accordance with paragraphs B-l and B-2 of the "Statement of Principles relating to the Granting of Observer Status to Nations",6 the Council agreed:
88. The Council was also informed that since its Hundred and Seventh Session, the Director-General, on being so requested, had extended invitations to the Russian Federation and Ukraine to attend as observers the Sessions listed in CL 108/INF/8.
89. As provided for in the General Rules of the Organization (GRO), the Council was advised that H.E. Moorosi Vernet Radatipole, Ambassador of Lesotho and Permanent Representative of Lesotho to FAO, was the new Representative of Lesotho on the Programme Committee, as of the Seventy-second Session, and that Mr Mohamed Said Mohamed Ali Harbi, Counsellor (Agricultural Affairs) and Permanent Representative of Sudan to FAO, was the new Representative of Sudan on the Finance Committee, as of the Eightieth Session.
90. Pending a decision by the Conference on the applications for membership received from the Republic of Moldova and the Republic of Turkmenistan and pursuant to Rule XXV. 11 of the General Rules of the Organization and paragraphs B-l, B-2 and B-5 of the "Statement of Principle: relating to the Granting of Observer Status to Nations", the Council authorized the Director-Gener; to invite Moldova and Turkmenistan to participate, in an observer capacity, at appropriate Council meetings as well as regional and technical meetings of the Organization of interest to them.
1 CL 108/5; CL 108/PV/ll; CI 108/PV/14.
2 CL 108//5: CL 108/PV/11 ; CL 108/PV/14.
3 CL 108/5; CL 108/PV/ll; CL 108/PV/14.
4 CL 108/5; CL 108/PV/ll; CL 108/PV/14.
5 CL 108/INF/8; CL 108/PV/l; CL 108/PV/14.
6 See FAO Basic Texts, Volume II, Section L (Appendix).