Rome, 13 - 17 September 1999
Changes in Salary Scales and Allowances
1. The following levels for the Rome post adjustment classification were announced by the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC) from May 1998 to June 1999. Changes in the multiplier were for the most part due to currency fluctuation.
(Applying 4-month waiting period)
|Jan. 1998||101.5||May 1998||1775||118.1||18.1|
|Feb. 1998||101.5||June 1998||1740||120.2||20.2|
|Mar. 1998||101.5||July 1998||1770||118.4||18.4|
|Apr. 1998||101.6||Aug. 1998||1745||119.9||19.9|
|May 1998||101.8||Sep. 1998||1785||117.6||17.6|
|June 1998||101.9||Oct. 1998||1665||125.0||25.0|
|July 1998||101.9||Nov. 1998||1635||127.1||27.1|
|Aug. 1998||101.9||Dec. 1998||1685||123.7||23.7|
|Sep. 1998||101.9||Jan. 1999||1659.54||125.4||25.4|
|Oct. 1998||102.1||Feb. 1999||1698.11||122.9||22.9|
|Nov. 1998||102.3||Mar. 1999||1756.20||116.4||16.4|
|Dec. 1998||102.3||Apr. 1999||1804.60||113.6||13.6|
|Jan. 1999||101.5||May 1999||1827.84||113.1||13.1|
|Feb. 1999||101.6 2/||June 1999||1849.14||112.0||12.0|
1/ Index of cost-of-living for international officials in Rome using a constant rate of exchange. Please note that the index has been re-based effective 1 November 1995, date of the last cost-of-living survey.
2. According to the current 5 percent/12 month rule governing cost-of-living adjustments of the salary of staff in the professional and higher categories, an average of 0.7 per cent net increase (in Lira terms) for inflation became due effective 1 May 1999.
3. Based on Table 1, the following graph shows the variations in net salary, at P-4, step VI, due to the monthly fluctuations of the Italian lira versus the US dollar.
4. The corresponding monthly salaries in Italian lire and the effect of the local inflation on net purchasing power are shown in the following graph.
5. In accordance with the procedures for interim adjustments approved by the Council at its Eighty-Sixth session 1/, it is foreseen that a 3 percent net increase in salaries of the General Service staff in Rome will become due effective 1 November 1999.
1/ CL 82/REP, para. 186.187;
CL 86/REP, para. 160 (b).