Back to the List of Documents
|COMMITTEE ON FISHERIES|
|Rome, Italy, 15-19 February 1999|
|DECISIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE SUB-COMMITTEE ON FISH TRADE, SIXTH SESSION, BREMEN, GERMANY, 3-6 JUNE 1998|
This document contains an overview of the topics discussed at the Sixth Session of the Sub-Committee on Fish Trade and makes reference to its main recommendations. The full report is available as document COFI/99/Inf.13. The Committee is invited to consider the recommendations of the Sub-Committee.
1. The Sixth Session of the Sub-Committee on Fish Trade of the Committee on Fisheries was held in Bremen, Germany, 3-6 June 1998 at the invitation of the Senate of the Hanseatic City and in conjunction with the trade fair FISCH-’98 International & Seafood Europe. An industry workshop on Seafood Safety, Quality and Import Control complemented the event. The report of the Session is available as document COFI/99/Inf.13.
II. MAJOR DECISIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
2. The Sub-Committee adopted a proposal made by South Africa that FAO should initiate a scientific review of the CITES listing criteria as they might apply to large-scale commercially harvested fish species (paragraph 12 and Appendix F of the Report of the Session). An ad hoc group of scientists is expected to review the proposal in November 1998. The conclusion of this group is presented in document COFI/99/6 Suppl.1.
3. On behalf of the Nordic countries, the Norwegian delegation proposed that FAO investigate the feasibility and practicability of developing non-discriminatory, globally applicable technical guidelines for the eco-labelling of products from marine capture fisheries. The Nordic Council of Ministers had offered to cover the cost of such a meeting and the Sub-Committee agreed that FAO should organize a technical consultation on the subject (paragraph 13 and Appendix G of the Report of the Session). The Technical Consultation will be convened in October 1998. A summary of the outcome is provided in document COFI/99/6 Suppl.1. The full report of the Technical Consultation will also be available at the Twenty-third Session of COFI.
III. MATTERS FOR INFORMATION OF THE COMMITTEE ON FISHERIES
Important recent events concerning international trade in fishery products
4. At the Sub-Committee’s debate, delegations noted that:
Issues of international trade, environment and sustainable development
5. The Sub-Committee noted that:
Fisheries commodities development strategy
6. The Sub-Committee endorsed the elements for a draft strategy for the development of fishery commodities and requested the Secretariat to finalize the document and submit it to the Common Fund for Commodities. (para. 23*)
Date and place of the Seventh Session of the Sub-Committee
7. The Sub-Committee agreed to hold the Seventh Session in conjunction with the seafood fair to be held in the year 2000 in the Federal State of Bremen, Germany.
IV. SUGGESTED ACTION BY THE COMMITTEE
8. The Committee is invited to endorse the report of its Sub-Committee and provide guidance with regard to the issues contained in paragraphs 2 and 3.
* Report of the Session