Time series for SOFA'95 diskette
Contents - Previous
Instructions for use
AS in the past two years, The State of Food and Agriculture 1995 includes a computer diskette with time series data for about 150 countries, along with FAOSTAT TS software for access to and display of the time series.
FAOSTAT TS software provides quick and easy access to structured annual time series databases. Even inexperienced computer users can use FAOSTAT TS. No spreadsheet, graphics or database program is required. FAOSTAT TS is fully menu-driven, so there are no commands to learn. Users can browse through and print graphs and tables, plot multiline graphs, fit trend lines and export data for use in other programs.
FAOSTAT TS is trilingual
(English, French, Spanish) and uses a standard menu format.
FAOSTAT TS software is in the public domain and may be freely distributed. The data files accompanying the software, however, are under FAO Copyright and users must attribute FAO as the source. FAO can provide only very limited support to users of this software and the accompanying data and cannot assist users who modify the software or data files. FAO disclaims all warrants of fitness of the software or the data for a particular use.
FAOSTAT TS softvvare requires an IBM or compatible PC with a hard disk, DOS 3.0 or higher, 300 KB of available RAM and graphics capability. Graphics support is provided for all common graphics adapters(VGA, EGA, M CGA, CGA and Hercules monochromes.
FAOSTAT TS will print graphs on Epson dot matrix, Hewlett-Packard and compatible laser printers. To use
FAOSTAT TS with other printers, users can enable their own graphics printing utility before starting the program. One such utility is GRAPHICS. COM in DOS 2.0 or later releases.
Because of its use of DOS graphics modes, if FAOSTAT TS is run under MS-Windows or OS/2, it should be set to run in a full screen DOS session.
Before running FAOSTAT TS you must install the software and data files on your hard disk. Installation is automated through the INSTALL. BAT utility on the diskette.
A C:\SOFA95 directory is created and, after installation, you will already be in this directory.
Entering FAOSTAT TS
- type CD:\SOFA95 and press ENTER
- then, from the command prompt in the SOFA95 directory, type SOFA95 and press ENTER A graphics title screen will be displayed, followed by the main menu screen
- If FAOSTAT TS does not start, graphs do not display correctly or the menus are difficult to read, your computer may not be compatible with the default functions of FAOSTAT TS.
The use of a command-line option may help. You may try to start FAOSTAT TS with the -E parameter to disable its use of expanded memory (type SOFA95 -E) You may also force the use of a particular graphics or text mode by typing its name as a parameter (for example, -EGA would force the use of EGA mode graphics).
Navigating the menus
The main menu bar consists of FILE, DATA, GRAPH, TABLE and HELP menus. Most menu options are disabled until you open a data file.
After you have made a menu selection, the menu will redraw and highlight a possible next choice'.
|F1||- Help: Displays context sensitive help text.|
|ESC||- Escape: Backs out of the current menu choice or exits the graph or table currently displayed.|
|ALT+N||- Notes: Displays text notes associated with the current data file, if the text file is available. This text may be edited. Notes will not appear while a graph is displayed.|
ALT+X, ALT+Q - Exit: Exits FAOSTAT TS immediately, without prompting.
- the FAOSTAT TS option displays the top-level help page
- the TOPICS option lists the help contents
- the ABOUT option shows summary program information
Opening a data file
- go to the FILE menu
- select OPEN All of the FAOSTAT TS data files in the current directory are displayed. Initially, only SOFA95 will be present. Other FAOSTAT PC data files, version 3.0, can be used with FAOSTAT TS.
If a current data file is open, loading in a new file will return FAOSTAT TS to its defaults (time trend, no trend line, no user-specified units or scalar). Only one file can be loaded at a time.
Once you have made a file selection, all the menu selections are activated.
Selecting a data series
· Use the DATA menu to select or modify a data series or to fit a statistical trend.
· Select a data series by choosing the name of a country and a data element from the scrolling menus. The first entry displays a list of country names, the second entry displays a list of data item names and the third displays a list of data element names.
If you type the first letters of a name in a list, the menu selection bar will jump to the matching name. For example:
Displaying graphs and graph options
The GRAPH menu allows you to view the data in chart form. You can display time trends and table or column profiles. Options under the GRAPH menu change the data series shown as well as its display.
For example, to show a plot of the data selected:
Graph action keys. You have several options when a graph is displayed:
· Press ESC to exit the graph and return to the main menu.
- display an initial series
- press the + key to add subsequent series to the chart
Fitting trend lines
Select DISPLAY from the GRAPH menu, and the profile will be drawn.
The initial profile display is for the last year of historical data. To change the year, use the Arrow keys. Press F1 for help.
By selecting TOP MEMBERS instead of SELECTED MEMBERS, FAOSTAT IS will sort the values in the file and display a ranking of table or column values.
- go to the TABLE menu
- select BROWSE DATA to view individual data tables from the current file
- VIEW: displays a temporary text file of the data selected. It is a convenient way to view a subset of the tables and columns in a FAOSTAT TS file and can also he used to see the effects of the ORIENTATION or LAYOUT selections before using the SAVE or PRINT option.
- SAVE: displays a list of file formats to let you save your data choices in a file. You will he prompted for a file name. If you need to export FAOSTAT TS data for use with other software, use this menu item. The WK1 and DBF file format selections are not affected by the LAYOUT option (see below)
- PRINT: prints your current table and column selections. Many printers cannot print more than five columns of FAOSTAT TS data.
Select VIEW to check the table width before printing.
- LAYOUT: allows you to display years across
TOWS or down columns. The default is down columns.
DOS shell and exit
The DOS SHELL option under the FILE menu returns you to the DOS prompt temporarily but keeps FAOSTAT TS in memory. This is not the normal way to exit the program. It is useful if you need to execute a DOS command and would like to return to the same data file. The data file itself is dropped from memory and reloaded on return, so default values will he in effect.
Exiting FAOSTAT TS
- go to the FILE menu
- select EXIT
The ALT+X or ALT+Q key combinations are short cuts to exit the program from almost any screen.
Contents - Previous