Interest in the development of forest utilization and woodworking industries is reflected in the continual demand for information on new equipment. The Forestry Division, FAO, collects such information and passes it, on request, to Member Governments: a selection is published here. FAO accepts no responsibility for the claim., of manufacturers.
- This frame permits front and rear halves of a truck to rotate to either side independently, keeping all wheels firmly on the ground, with complete protection for cab, body and load on very rough terrain. Frame consists of a heavy duty steel box section with frame innerliner fastened to forward half of truck frame, a similar section fastened to rear half, both joined together by a high strength alloy steel tube (the swivel point for. cab and body). Truck's drive line operates through swivel tube in heavy-duty models and beneath the tube in light models. Available for all makes of trucks.
Manufacturer: The Truckstell Manufacturing Co., Union Commerce Building, Cleveland 14, Ohio., U.S.A.
- Handhooks or tongs are applied to the ends of logs, ties or bolts, and furnish a sure grip for two men to lift and handle pulpwood. The hook continues to bite as long as an upward pull is exerted, while double claws keep the bolt from turning.
Source: Equipment Survey Notes, Forest Products Laboratory, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
YARDER FOR SKYLINE CRANE.
- This W-60 model winch is designed for loads up to 3 tons. It has a large capacity drum to take operating cables of max. length 2,800 m.
Specifications: air-cooled 57 h.p. diesel engine, 4 cylinders, 6 gears 3 to 36 ft./sec. (1 to 8 m./sec.). Hoisting and skidding speed with full drum 3 tons at 3 ft./sec. (0.9 m./sec.). Max. traveling speed of load on skyline 33 ft./sec. (10 m./sec.) down hill, 20 ft./sec. (6 m./sec.) uphill. Larger skyline crane for loads up to 5 tons under trial.
Manufacturer: Wyssen Skyline Cranes, Reichenbach (Kandervalley), Switzerland.
HIGH-CAPACITY PORTABLE FIRE-PUMP.
- Self-priming centrifugal pump designed for fire fighting in isolated locations.
Specifications: 2-cycle engine; automatic rewind cable starter (no ropes); delivers 250 U.S. gal (964 liters) per min.; develops pressure over 100 lb. per sq. in. (7 kg/cm2); primes at 25 ft. (7.6 m.) suction lift; delivers fog, steam or foam.
Manufacturer: McCulloch Motors Corp., Export Dept., 301, Clay St., San Francisco 11, California, U.S.A.
DRIVALL POST DRIVER.
- This tool drives a post directly into the ground without removing any earth. The driving tube rides over the post on the piston principle enabling maximum power to be concentrated on the head of the post. Hand operated by one or more men according to the size of the post. Manufactured in a range of sizes.
Manufacturer: Drivall Ltd., Hadley Highstone, Barnet, Hertfordshire England.
- This machine can be used for digging, weeding, hoeing, and levelling. It has steel tines placed in front of the power unit and rubber-tired wheels adjustable to alter depth of cultivation. Attachments are: rotary grass cutter; ridger; trailer of 2 ½ cwt. (127 kg.) loading capacity; drive wheels; adjustable tool bar; weeding hoes; full width tines; hook tines; leveller; snow plow.
Specifications: cut of tines 13 in. (33 cm.), 16 in. (41 cm.) or (by addition of extra tines) 24 in. (61 cm.) motor 120 cc with ½ Imp. gallon (2.3 liters) tank.
Manufacturer: J.E. Shay Ltd., Basingstoke, Hampshire, England.
HOLDER FOR CROSSCUT AND SAWS.
- The Sandvik Stump Vise No. 127 is especially adapted for pulpwood saw blades. It can be securely inserted in a stump or log for filing in the woods, or attached to a bench in a file shed without aid of screws or clamps. The blade is held rigidly so that vibration is eliminated.
Source: Equipment Handbook, American Pulpwood Association. Manufacturer: Sandvikens Jernverks Aktiebolaq, Sandviken Sweden.
THERMOBLOC HOT AIR GENERATOR.
- This generator, which can be used as drying equipment in industrial concerns, functions on wood waste (sawdust, chips, shavings, bark) as well as on all other types of combustibles. Is manufactured in three models: 75,000 cal/h or 300,000 British thermal units; 125,000 cal/h or 500,000 BTU; and 225,000 cal/h or 900,000 BTU.
Etablissements Wanson, Boulevard de la Woluwe, Haren-Bruxelles, Belgium.
- Used in conjunction with skid lifts. When skids are raised by means of their lift, the forward upper corners of skids extend over 1 in. above top of carriage head brooks, forming fulcrum point to turn log when it is pulled backward by hook arm. Hook is thrust down into the log by motion of piston in hook arm cylinder being reversed. Continued reverse motion pulls log backward toward heel formed by skids, turning it and exposing new surface to saw. Hook arm works loosely on shaft, and on its upward stroke engages jaw clutches which are keyed to shaft, raising push and helper arms into a position to hold log while turning, and push it back onto carriage head blocks. Push and helper arms keyed solid to shaft and operated by push arm cylinder. Size of logs handled depends on carriage opening: 10 in. (25 cm.) turner recommended for opening 60 to 72 in. (1.5 to 1.8 m.), 12 in. (30 cm.) for 72 to 84 in. (1.8 m. to 2.1 m.), 14 in. (36 cm.) for openings over 84 m. (2.1 m.).
Manufacturer: The Filer and Stowell Co., Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
SHOP CADDY HYDRAULIC.
- This hand truck hydraulic lift enables one man to load and unload trucks and stack merchandise.
Manufacturer: Precision Equipment Company, 3714, North Milwaukee Ave. Chicago 41 Illinois, U.S.A.
IRION SIDE FORK LIFT TRUCK.
- Specifications: Power for 600 mm., 3,000 kg. load center. Length of fork lift 1,200 mm. box-type frame; Mer cedes-Benz 4-cylinder, 4-cycle diesel engine. H.p. 30 at 2,500 r.p.m. Mechanical clutch. Working speed: in 1st 4 km/h., 2nd - 7 km./h., 3rd 11 km./h.; 4th - 25 km./h.; in reverse - 4 km./h. Hydraulic system: working pressure - about 160 atm. under 3 ton load.
Manufacturer: Albert Irion, Nachf., Stuttgart Münster, Germany.
- This planer comes in three models - the 700, 800 and 1,000.
Specifications: working widths 702, 802 or 1,002 mm., thickness 240 mm. cutter speed 5,000 r.p.m., diameter of cutter spindle 134 mm., diameter of cutting circle 138 mm., number of cutters 4, diameter of feed rod 117 mm., 4 feed rods, rate of feed 6-25 m./min. or 12-50 m./min., 6 feeding speeds, weight of machines 2,000 kg. 2,500 kg., and 3,000 kg., floor space 2.676 ma' 2.837 m3, and 3.159 m3 respectively.
Manufacturer: Machines Outils à Bois, Maison Y. Chambron, 11 rue de la Gare, Lyon (5ème), France.
ADW MODEL BAND SAW.
- Electrically driven band saw for cutting logs; carriage fitted with rapid dogging and dividing apparatus.
Specifications: diameter of saw pulleys 1.1 m., width of pulleys 100 mm., max. height under guide 1.02 m., max. length of blades 7.3 m., cutting speed 2.25 to 30 m./min., constant return speed 47 m./min. Oil-type friction clutch. Blade guard. 6 mm. Carriage with 4 dogs to saw 7 m.
Manufacturer: Etablissements Guilliet, Auxerre, France.
STRAIGHT LINE CROSSCUT SAW.
- A light type of machine for the cabinet, joinery, toy and packing case trades. Graduated scales are fitted for quick setting of the saw to required angle. Can be used for cutting simple and compound bevels, hatching, halfing, scarfing, tenoning, molding and rebating with circular cutter brook
Specifications: diameter of saw 12 in (30 cm.) r.p.m. of saw 2.800 at 50 cycles; length of stroke 16 in. (41 cm.) depth of out 4 in. (10 cm.) head swigels 45° right or left; head cants 90° to horizontal, motor 1 or 2 h.p. 3 phase, push button starter.
Manufacturer: H. Todd and Son Ltd., Browhead Works, Eastern Avenue, Burnley, Lancashire, England.