Interest in the development of forest utilization and woodworking industries is reflected in the continual demand for information on new equipment. The Forestry Division, FAO, collects such information and passes it, on request, to Member Governments a selection is published here. FAO accepts no responsibility for the claims of manufacturers.
MERTON OVERHEAD LOADER.
- The Merton DB 30 Overhead Loader can be used not only for loading, but also for digging, dozing, hauling and lifting. Specifications: Engine: David Brown 4 cylinder, 34 hp at 1800 rpm; maximum drawbar pull (bucket empty) 9,700 lb. (4,400 kg.) Speeds: 6 forward from 1.06 to 5.72 mph (1.7-9.2 km/h.); 2 reverse. Winch: power for the winch drive taken from front of engine crankshaft. Bucket: 23 cu. ft. (0.65 m³. Shipping weight: 6 tons.
The Merton Engineering Co. Ltd., North Feltham Trading Estate, Faggs Road, Feltham, Middlesex, England.
- The Rotaped is a track-laying wheel mounted on tractor, using standard hub fitting. consists of six links grouped round driving wheel, which lay themselves on ground as tractor moves, and remain always at correct distance from driving wheel. Track chain assembly must always be in contact with wheel.
There is always one complete link on ground giving tractor good support on soft ground.
Specifications: Weight: (Rotaped 20) 110 kg (243 lb); (Rotaped 40) 125 kg. (276 lb) per track approx. incl. driving wheels.
Leeford (London) Ltd., Engineers, 33 Upper Brook Street, Park Lane, London. W. 1., England.
ROOTSPRED THEE PLANTERS.
- The Standard: for hills, stony and heavy soils. Also light soils and sands on level sites. Will plant through roots, brush, stumps, etc.
The Lake States: as above but has 14 in. (36 cm.) middlebuster inserted between coulter and trencher.
Trench can be made up to 11 in. (28 cm.) deep and 3 in. (7.6 cm.) wide. A timer for spacing is included with each planter. Daily planting rates from 6,000 to 10,000. Weight: Standard - 465 lb. (210 kg.). Lake States-490 lb. (222 kg.).
Rootspred, St. Petersburg, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
JAYHAWK SUB SOILER.
- The Jayhawk Sub-soiler is equipped, with a spinner that fractures the ground to increase its water-holding capacity, controls erosion and helps drain low spots. The point of the Jayhawk S and S Soil Saver digs a dip trench. The spinner creates a cavity, fills it with its own pulverized earth and cracks the subsoil in all directions. Through its action the hard pan and subsoil become a wick to hold moisture.
Ground penetration of point from 25 to 31 in. (64 to 79 cm.) depending upon model. The spinner, 2/3 larger in cross sectional width than point, produces the shattering effect. Spinner does 132 r. p. m. at 3 mph (4.8 km./h.) tractor speed.
The Wyatt Manufacturing Co., Inc., Salina, Kansas, U.S.A.
HENDRICK PANEL SAW MODEL MA.
- Designed to operate both manually and automatically.
Carriage starts on the rails at end away from operator and climb cuts towards him. Cut carried downward producing clean finish in full view. In manual operation, cuts are easily performed at rates up to 75 ft. (23 m.) per min. Carriage can be returned to starting position in 5 sec. Automatic drive produces carriage travel speed from 8 to 50 ft. (2.4 to 16.2 m.) per min. For automatic operation machine is equipped with General Electric controls. Change from manual to automatic control achieved by throwing clutch to engage: worm gear driven by ¼ hp motor with belt-driven variable speed drive.
Max. saw diameter - 10 in. (25.4 cm.). Special models available with 14 in. (35.6 cm.) blade.
Hendrick Manufacturing Corporation, 11, Selman Street, Marblehead Mass., U.S.A.
M.A.N. ROPE WINCHES No. L.W. 2.5.
- Winch is flanged to rear of tractor gearbox and driven by power take-off shaft which passes through entire winch gearing so that it may be used to drive implements or machines with the winch mounted. Operated by hand lever from the driver's seat. In 6 models from 2,500 to 6,000 kg. max. pull. All winches equipped with no-return lock making it possible to shift rope drum gears even with the rope pulling a load.
Winch type LW 2.5. Max. pull 2,500 kg. at wire rope length of 50 m. and diameter of 11 mm. Rope sheave pivoted to turn through 360° permits pulls in all directions.
Weight (incl. rope and sprag anchor) - 285 kg.
M.A.N. (13a) Nürnberg 2, Schliessfach, Germany.
GRADALL EARTH-MOVING AND CONSTRUCTION MACHINE.
- Hydraulically operated machine.
Specifications: 6-cylinder engine, 140 hp. 5 speeds forward, 1-reverse; for the upper structure 70-75 hp. 4 cylinders. Telescoping boom extends to 25 ft. (7.6 m.), or retracts to 12 ft. (3.7 m.), raises to dumping height of 14 ft. 9 in. (4.5 m.), lowers to digging depth of 10 ft. (3 m.) - attachments operate through vertical are of 116°; boom tilts 45° either way from center - dumping can be done through 360°.
The Warner and Swasey Company, 5 701 Carnegie Avenue, Cleveland 3, Ohio, U.S.A.
ROBINSON 54 IN. VERTICAL BAND RE-SAW - TYPE EH/T.
- This Band Re-Saw has 4-roller feed and is especially designed for high speed gauge or center sawing, also bevel sawing and boxboard production. Six rates feed through gearbox, viz. between 30 ft. (9 m.) and 180 ft. (55 m.) per min. or, to special order, between 40 ft. (12 m.) and 240 ft. (73 m.) per min.
Pedal-operated simultaneous opening movement to both pairs of feed rollers if set for center-sawing or to pressure rollers only, if gauge sawing.
Specifications: Max. width of saw: 7 in. (17.8 cm.). Max. depth available under top saw guide: 16 in. (40.6 em.). Max. width between saw and gauge rollers: 6 in. (15.2 cm.), between saw and left-hand feed rollers: 12 in. (30.5 cm.). Main driving motor, 50 bhp. Top saw wheel motor for power rise and fall, 1/3 bhp.
Thomas Robinson and Son, Ltd., Rochdale, England.
WHITING MODEL 2-TM TRACK-MOBILE.
- It takes the Trackmobile 30 seconds from track to road and from road to track. Operation on road wheel similar to that of conventional truck; max. speed: 16 m.p.h. (26 km./h.) For placing the machine over the track the operator uses hydraulic power to retract road wheels, lowering track wheels onto rails. When road wheels are fully retracted the Trackmobile has standard railway ear clearance. Special gearing permits use of 4 speeds for travel in either direction.
Specifications: Engine 55 bhp. Tractive effort: 1st gear: 1.5 mph (2.4 km./h.), 8,400 lb. (3,810 kg.); 2nd gear: 2.5 mph (4 km./h.), 5,300 lb. (2.405 kg.); 3rd gear: 4.0 mph (6.4 km./h.), 3,650 lb. (1,655 kg.); 4th gear: 9.0 mph (14.5 km./h.); 1,300 lb. (590 kg.).
Whiting Corporation, Harvey, Illinois, U.S.A.
SKILL TWO-WAY BLADE.
- Blade cuts two ways, in either direction of rotation, after blade face is reversed on saw. Blade should be used in one direction of rotation until cutting edges of teeth become dull, then reversed on saw. As blade cuts in new rotation, cutting edges used in original rotation are automatically honed to new sharpness.
Available in sizes of 5 7/8 ,- 7 ¼ and 8 ¼ in. (14.9, 18.4 and 21 cm.).
Skil Corporation, 5033 Elson Avenue, (Chicago 30, Illinois, U.S.A.
HORIZONTAL BANDSAW LOG MILL.
- Main advantages: can be completely dismounted, in light sections, heaviest weighs: 440 lb. (200 kg.); quick installation, no foundation or concreting necessary. No sawmill carriage; length of sawing unlimited; need only be provided with rolling track. Inversion of driven pulleys allows speed variations according to hardness and texture of timber. Operator regulates thickness of cut from his seat.
Specifications: Saws logs up to 4.2 ft. (1.30 m.) with precision, 3 to 35 mm. thick. Output capacity 36 to 72 cu. ft. per hour (1 to 2 cu. m.) according to type of timber. Driven by gasoline, diesel or electric motor.
Eltablissements C.D., 20 rue Anatole France, Puteaux, Seine, France.