WSIS Prizes 2018 finalists announced!
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) has announced the 90 finalists of the WSIS Prizes 2018 contests (also known as WSIS Champions).
This year the competition had a record-breaking 492 nominated projects and more than 1 million votes were cast online.
In a press statement, ITU noted “Eighteen winners will be announced from the 90 finalists, and together all WSIS Prizes Winners and WSIS Prizes Champions will be honoured at the event”.
WSIS Prizes 2018 Process
The WSIS Prizes 2018 timelines from submission to award ran from the 11th of September 2017 and will see the final announcement of winners during the 19th to the 23rd of March 2018.
The following timeline will be followed in the WSIS Prizes 2018
Submission Phase(11 September 2017 - 10 January 2018) Nomination Phase(11 January - 29 January 2018) Voting Phase(29 January - 18 February 2018) Selection Phase(19 February - 23 February 2018)
- Prize Ceremony (19 March - 23 March 2018)
The 18 winners will be recognized as the best in each of the 18 WSIS Action Lines as outlined in the Geneva Plan of Action.
The E-Agriculture projects are covered by the Action Line C7: E-Agriculture and 27 projects were nominated. The following are Champions in the E-Agriculture category:
- Hushu Smart Agricultural Center IoT project, Jiangsu post & telecommunications planning and designing institute Co, Ltd CHINA
- eSAP: a complete ICT Solution for Crop Health Management, University Of Agricultural Sciences INDIA
- BAKTIKU NEGERIKU, SERIKAT PEKERJA TELKOMSEL INDONESIA
- E-voucher systems: Connecting Smallholders to Knowledge, Networks, and Institutions. International Fund for Agricultural Development KENYA
- Produce APP, Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural Development, Fisheries and Food MEXICO
'The project descriptions of this year's WSIS Prizes Champions will be published in the publication WSIS Stocktaking: Success Stories 2018, to be released during WSIS Forum 2018 along with WSIS Stocktaking 2018 Regional Reports'. – Source ITU Press Release
Read more from the ITU Press release here