Digital Excellence in Agriculture in Europe and Central Asia
Call for good practices in the field of digital agriculture November 2020 – January 2021
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) are accepting submissions on good practices from Europe and Central Asia in digital agriculture.
This call is the first phase of the regional contest entitled “Digital Excellence in Agriculture in Europe and Central Asia”, aiming at collecting good practices in the field of digital agriculture and providing a mechanism for identifying outstanding initiatives, projects, and programmes across the regions to be awarded with a special recognition of Digital Excellence in Agriculture.
It will enable individuals and organizations using digital agricultural practices to share knowledge, solutions, and suggestions that highlight the potential of stepping up good practices in the region of Europe and Central Asia.
The regional contest will have six phases:
- Submission of good practices open from 4 November until 11 December 2020;
- Nomination of outstanding practices in January 2021;
- Production of a stocktaking report including all good practices collected;
- Selection of the finalists and award recipients;
- Production of a special promotional video focusing on outstanding good practices, as well as production of the Digital Excellence in Agriculture report;
- Award ceremony where the finalists will receive an opportunity to present their good practices and outstanding achievements during the “Digital Excellence in Agriculture in Europe and Central Asia” event (February-March 2021), and the winners will be awarded with a special recognition and a trophy.
Submissions are accepted in the following categories:
- Regulatory frameworks/Enhanced market access/Financial services and insurance;
- Capacity development and empowerment;
- Agriculture innovations systems and sustainable farming;
- Disaster risk management and early warning systems;
- Food safety and traceability.
This regional contest follows a joint ITU-FAO Study on the Status of Digital Agriculture in 18 Countries of Europe and Central Asia, that clearly demonstrated how Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) are playing an emerging role in the agriculture of Europe and Central Asia.
This call will contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and, in particular, SDG2 on “Zero Hunger”, by contributing to close the digital, rural, and gender disparaties, known as the triple divide, and ensure an inclusive digital transition. The contest is also an important milestone in the implementation of the Regional Initiatives of both, the ITU and FAO.
- Read more about the ITU Regional Initiatives for Europe and for CIS.
- Read more about the FAO Regional Initiatives for Europe and Central Asia.
- Join the e-agriculture community of practice.