e-Agriculture Learning Activity Drones Webinar: The use of drones in humanitarian action
WHEN: Friday 27 October 2017, 2PM UTC - 4PM CEST (Central European Summer Time)
To enter the room use the following Adobe Connect link: http://fao.adobeconnect.com/e-agdrones5/
In the framework of the e-Agriculture learning activity on drones, which runs on the e-Agriculture platform from 16 to 27 October 2017, e-Agriculture is organizing a series interactive webinars with different speakers addressing different aspects on the use of drones in agriculture and rural development.
About this webinar
UAVs are increasingly recognised by humanitarian organizations for their potential effectiveness in disaster response. Such technology can help humanitarian organizations to quickly collect information, achieve higher data accuracy, and provide safer monitoring systems in emergencies.
The webinar will be jointly presented by two experts: Haidar Baqir from the World Food Programme (WFP) and Patrick Meier (Executive Director and founder of WeRobotics). They will explore the use of drones in humanitarian context. Haidar Baqir will talk about the approach of WFP and present a one-year project to develop the coordinated use of UAVs for disaster response and what this means for the future of humanitarian work. Patrick Meier, who is currently working on different humanitarian drone projects will be talking about localizing appropriate robotics solutions in developing countries.
About the presenters
- Haidar Baqir has been working in WFP for 14 years out of which 10 in field operations. He is currently part of the Global Emergency Telecommunications Cluster (ETC) in Rome which supports effective global leadership and coordination to IT humanitarian operations and supporting the ETC country teams in better serving the humanitarian community. Since he moved to WFP HQ in Rome, he has been on missions for the Ebola Outbreak in West Africa in 2014, as well as Nepal Earthquake and Yemen conflict in 2015. He holds a Master degree in Engineering and has three years of academic teaching at universities. Part of his current role is leading the Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) coordination model project for WFP and the humanitarian response community.
- Patrick Meier is an internationally recognized expert and consultant on Humanitarian Technology and Innovation. His new book, Digital Humanitarians, has been praised by Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Oxford, UN, Red Cross, World Bank, USAID and others. While at WeRobotics, Patrick also co-authored “Drones in Humanitarian Action: A Guide to the Use of Airborne Systems in Humanitarian Crises”. In addition, he authored the report “Humanitarian UAV Missions: Towards Best Practices” and wrote the chapter on Humanitarian UAVs in “Drones & Aerial Observation.”
General Recommendations regarding accessing and using the Adobe Connect platform
- Make sure that you have a good internet connection
- We strongly recommend that you log on to Chrome or Firefox (to avoid additional plug-in downloads)
- Open this link well in advance (around 10 minutes) of the Webinar so - in case necessary - you have enough time to install the Adobe Flash Player 10.3.Go to http://na1cps.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm (copy and paste it into web browser) to check your settings.
- Log in as a guest - entering your first and last name