The Agricultural Development Economics Division (ESA) is the focal point for FAO's economic research and policy analysis for food security and sustainable development.
We focus on analysis of agricultural and rural development programmes and projects. We produce studies on agriculture in the overall economic development process, poverty reduction, comparing agricultural development at country and regional levels, and on the situation and trends of world food security.
We also publish the State of Food and Agriculture, and the State of Food Insecurity in the World, two of FAO's flagship publications.
Our work falls into the following broad themes:
• Smallholders and rural poverty
• Markets, prices and trade
• Food security governance and right to food
• Food security analysis and policy
• Economics of sustainable agriculture
• Long-term perspectives