- Key messages
Restoring agricultural livelihoods is a priority to avoid a further deterioration of the food security situation of displaced people and host communities in the coming months.
Limited funding received in 2016 for livelihood interventions is of major concern, especially in Northeast Nigeria where 4.5 million people face acute food insecurity ...read more
- En juillet 2016, dans l’Aire grégarigène, la pluviosité était très faible et inférieure aux besoins du Criquet migrateur malgache, sauf dans l’Aire transitoire de multiplication Sud de la Grande-Île qui bénéficiait d’une pluviosité moyenne. Dans les Hautes- et Moyennes-Terres, le Criquet migrateur malgache ralentissait son métabolisme avec les basses températures enregistrées ...read more
- En juin 2016, dans l’Aire grégarigène, la pluviosité était très faible et inférieure aux besoins du Criquet migrateur malgache, sauf dans l’Aire transitoire de multiplication Sud de la Grande-Île qui bénéficiait d’une pluviosité favorable. Dans les Hautes-Terres, le Criquet migrateur malgache ralentissait son métabolisme avec les basses températures enregistrées en juin, ...read more
- This publication highlights the work of FAO and its partners to strengthen the resilience of communities and to assist displaced populations and host communities in coping with protracted displacement.
- This booklet is directed towards FAO Member States, UN system and all other potential partners, and sheds light on the role that resilient agriculture livelihoods can play in addressing some of the root causes of migration in protracted crises and assisting displaced populations and host communities to cope with protracted ...read more
- Key messages
Around 12-13 million people in Iraq will likely need humanitarian aid by the end of 2016. Military operations against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in Mosul and elsewhere are set to intensify over the coming months, which will likely result in a large number of newly ...read more
- Transboundary animal diseases (terrestrial and aquatic), plant pests and diseases (agriculture and forest plants) and Food safety hazards, are raising public awareness for their potential impact on food and nutrition security, human health, livelihoods, and trade. The ability to predict FCC threats through a forecasting process is imperative for Governments ...read more
- In response to the drought effects related to the El Niño phenomena, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) conducted a Seed Security Assessment in the four agro-ecological zones of Lesotho in April/May 2016.
The objectives of the assessment were to assess the current seed security situation among ...read more
- Key messages
Almost 80 percent of households across the country are struggling to cope with a lack of food or money to buy food, particularly in areas where income-generating opportunities are extremely limited, coupled with escalating market prices.
Though severely weakened, the agriculture sector still sustains 50 percent of the food supply ...read more
- Situation overview
The 2015/16 agricultural season in Southern Africa was the driest in 35 years. In a region where over 70 percent of the population is dependent on agriculture for their livelihoods, and following two, and in some cases three, consecutive years of drought, El Niño has had devastating impacts on the lives ...read more