Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Emergency support to protect agriculture-based livelihoods of vulnerable households in Burkina Faso
- Activités de production alimentaire domestique d'urgence dans les zones urbaines vulnérables et marginalisées dans la bande de Gaza
- Fortalecimiento de la capacidad de recuperación de las poblaciones desplazadas y receptoras de la región de Mopti en Malí
- Projet de relèvement et de relance économique dans la province du Maniema. Projet conjoint PNUD/FAO pour la Stratégie ISSSS, en appui au STAREC
Connect with us
Supporting household food security, agricultural production and livestock husbandry in Sudan
Supporting household food security, agricultural production and livestock husbandry of crisis-affected and vulnerable households in Eastern Sudan
To help maintain and restore the food security and livelihoods of the crisis-affected populations in Eastern Sudan through the provision of agricultural inputs and veterinary supplies.
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, State Ministry of Animal Resources (Kassala) and five NGOs.
A total of 31 028 households: 23 232 households under the agricultural component; and 7 796 households through the livestock assistance component.
- The project provided 138.6 tonnes of crop and vegetable seeds, resulting in the cultivation of a total of 17 672 hectares of land and an estimated production of 5 316 tonnes of crops.
- Emergency livestock feed for fattening cows and sheep was provided.
- Training was provided to community animal health workers to help strengthen the local animal health delivery network, while 200 women-headed households received training on home gardening to help generate income and improve food security.
- Households were able to harvest an estimated total yield of 5 316 tonnes of field crops and 7 720.5 tonnes of assorted vegetables, helping to improve household food security and income levels and reduce reliance on food aid.
- The feed distributed through the project contributed to mitigating the feed shortage shock and saved the lives of an estimated 13 980 animals, thus protecting beneficiaries’ livelihoods and domestic assets.
- The training of women-headed households in home gardening and the training of community-based extension agents in best cultural practices and communication skills helped to improve the production capacities of the target communities.