Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Resuming agriculture and income opportunities for communities affected by the CAR crisis22/11/2016
- Emergency agricultural input support to vulnerable farmers affected by the crisis in Syria22/11/2016
- Renforcement de la résilience21/11/2016
- Decrease community tensions along the Mambasa‒Epulu‒Nia Nia axis by strengthening resilience04/11/2016
- Emergency response to protect conflict-affected displaced populations in Greater Upper Nile from hunger and malnutrition03/11/2016
Connect with us
Emergency agricultural assistance to flood victims in Sri Lanka
Emergency agricultural assistance to flood victims in the Eastern and Central Provinces of Sri Lanka
To restore agriculture-based livelihoods of 91 000 flood-affected families, and improve household food security of 10 800 households in Ampara, Batticaloa and Trincomalee districts during the Yala 2011 season.
The Ministry of Agriculture of the Eastern Provincial Council.
25 331 other field crops (OFC) farming households.
- Farming households supported with high yield variety of OFCs (cowpea, black gram, green gram and groundnut) for production of ¼ acre of OFC crop/family.
- 17 932 households who received OFC assistance have received 25 000 vegetable seed kits in time for the Maha 2011/12 season and have cultivated home gardens.
- In total 5 320 acres of highland were cultivated with OFCs (i.e. cowpea, black gram, green gram and groundnut).
- The inputs provided under the project enabled 43 percent of the total groundnut, 41 percent of the total green gram, 55 percent of the total black gram and 18 percent of the total cowpea to be cultivated in the three districts of the Eastern province during the Maha 2011/12 season.
- Beneficiaries had increased access to OFCs for household consumption, future seed stocks and sale of surplus (average income received by beneficiaries ranged from LKR 15 000 to LKR 30 000 per household), thus improved food security and income generating opportunities.
- Home gardening made an important contribution towards increasing household food security.