Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Rétablissement d'urgence de la capacité d'auto prise en charge des populations d'éleveurs déplacées du Mali25/06/2015
- Emergency assistance to address the 2011/2012 severe crop failure 11/06/2015
- Soutien aux moyens d’existence des ménages affectés par la crise alimentaire et nutritionnelle de 2012 en Gambie, à travers le renforcement des capacités de production maraîchère et le soutien à l'élevage 10/06/2015
- Locust crisis in the Sahel05/06/2015
- Building resilient livelihoods in Afar Region01/06/2015
Connect with us
Emergency livelihoods assistance to food and forage crisis affected households in the Sahel
Emergency livelihoods assistance to food and forage crisis affected households in the Sahel and regional coordination
To strengthen the resilience of populations affected by the 2012 food and nutrition crises in the Sahel.
Regional and local governments, the World Food Programme and other UN agencies as well as Action Contre la Faim, Catholic Relief Services and other NGOs.
416 500 vulnerable individuals in the Niger, as well as food and nutrition security stakeholders across the region.
- Supported vegetable gardening in the Niger through the distribution of 2 000 kg of vegetable seed, 200 tonnes of potato seed and 50 tonnes of maize seed.
- Distributed 1 020 tonnes of animal feed to vulnerable pastoralists in the Niger.
- Procured 1 000 000 doses of Dermovac vaccine and carried out a vaccination campaign for small ruminants in the Niger.
- Installed multinutrient block units and trained beneficiaries on how to use them in six departments in the Niger.
- Trained participants on carrying out seed system assessments in the region, and carried out two rapid seed system assessments in the Niger and Senegal.
- Organized regional workshops and meetings to discuss best practices, recommendations and share valuable food and nutrition security information.
- Prepared joint notes and other relevant food and nutrition security information documents.
- Improved household food security, diversified household diets and increased income generation through increased vegetable production.
- Protected livestock herds through the provision of animal feed, production of multinutrient blocks and vaccination campaign.
- Improved beneficiaries knowledge on seed systems and strengthened their capacity to design and implement a seed assessment.
- Improved information sharing among food and nutrition security stakeholders in the region.
- Improved the integration of livelihood response, preparation and management in response to the crisis, including the humanitarian appeals and disaster risk management /disaster risk reduction approaches, through coordination activities across the region.