Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Household recovery reinforcement and support to Emergency Response Coordination in the Niger
- Support to coordination of food security and agriculture in emergency preparedness and response in Afghanistan
- Programme de réponse rapide et de renforcement de la sécurité alimentaire pour les ménages affectés par les conflits à l’Est de la République démocratique du Congo
- Coordination of food and agricultural disaster risk reduction and management in southern Africa
Connect with us
Emergency seed and planting material support for drought-affected people in Ethiopia
Emergency seed and planting material support for drought-affected people in Oromiya and SNNP regions
To increase the food security of 23 573 households (117 865 people) in East and West Hararghe zones of Oromiya and the Gamo Gofa zone of SNNP region through seed support.
Ethiopian Bureaus of Agriculture, World Vision Ethiopia, CARE and Catholic Relief Service.
Project beneficiaries included 7 448 household in six woredas of East and West Hararghe and Gamo Gofa zones.
- Distributed a total of 60 tonnes of haricot bean seed to 2 572 beneficiary households, and 6 531 000 sweet potato cuttings to 4 876 beneficiary households.
- Provided training to farmers in good agricultural practices.
- The project helped to improve the food security of drought-affected farmers, significantly reduce dependency on external and imported food aid and strengthen the local seed system in target areas.
- Poor farmers, who had no access to improved seed varieties in the past, were able to save enough haricot bean seed from their harvest to cultivate 0.25 ha of land in the subsequent planting season.
- The project helped to revitalize the weakened local sweet potato planting material supply system and enabled beneficiary farmers to harvest fresh food during the 2012 lean season (April-June).