Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Strengthening national capacity to prevent and control to emerging and re-emerging pandemic threats including influenza A in Bangladesh12/01/2017
- Appui à la réinsertion des retournés de République Centrafricaine (RCA) et soutien aux communautés hôtes au Tchad-VOLET FAO 23/12/2016
- Protection d’urgence des ressources d’élevage des éleveurs et des agropasteurs affectés par les impacts du phénomène El Niño en Éthiopie22/12/2016
- Resuming agriculture and income opportunities for communities affected by the CAR crisis22/11/2016
- Emergency agricultural input support to vulnerable farmers affected by the crisis in Syria22/11/2016
Connect with us
Drought response and recovery: emergency food security assistance for the most vulnerable population in south Madagascar
Drought response and recovery: emergency food security assistance for the most vulnerable population in south Madagascar through drought-tolerant seed production
To improve the food security of vulnerable households in the agricultural regions of southern Madagascar, and more specifically to enable them to promptly recover and improve their food security.
Two NGOs: Andry-Lalana-Tohana (ALT) and Secours Islamique de France (SIF).
62 farmers (seed production); 4 540 farmers (from seeds produced); and 80 farmers, animators and NGO technicians (training).
- 200 kg of basic IRAT 204 variety sorghum seeds distributed to Seed Multiplying Farmers (SMFs).
- In partnership with ALT, 32 small plots (totalling 31.55 ha) identified for multiplication.
- In partnership with SIF, a 5 ha plot cultivated by a farmers’ association was identified.
- 35 SMFs, 13 animators, 2 ALT technicians and 30 farmers’ association members trained in sorghum seed production (including field preparation, fertilization, farming techniques, sorghum pests and diseases, harvesting, storage and packaging).
- Training activities and distribution of seeds to vulnerable families planned within the Food Security and Livelihoods Subcluster.
- Regular information on food security situation shared through the Subcluster.
- Production per producer under the partnership with ALT ranged from 40 to 1 800 kg of sorghum seeds and the yield from 600 kg/ha to 900 kg/ha.
- Under the partnership with SIF, only 1.6 ha could be cultivated, producing 962 kg of sorghum seeds (average yield of 600 kg/ha).
- Total of 14 200 kg of seeds repurchased from ALT SMFs and SIF small farmers’ association.
- 13.2 tonnes of the sorghum seeds were directly distributed to 8 500 farming households in the regions of Androy and Anosy for the 2011/12 main season.