Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Household recovery reinforcement and support to Emergency Response Coordination in the Niger
- Support to coordination of food security and agriculture in emergency preparedness and response in Afghanistan
- Programme de réponse rapide et de renforcement de la sécurité alimentaire pour les ménages affectés par les conflits à l’Est de la République démocratique du Congo
- Coordination of food and agricultural disaster risk reduction and management in southern Africa
Connect with us
Drought response and recovery: emergency food security assistance for the most vulnerable population in south Madagascar
Drought response and recovery: emergency food security assistance for the most vulnerable population in south Madagascar through drought-tolerant seed production
To improve the food security of vulnerable households in the agricultural regions of southern Madagascar, and more specifically to enable them to promptly recover and improve their food security.
Two NGOs: Andry-Lalana-Tohana (ALT) and Secours Islamique de France (SIF).
62 farmers (seed production); 4 540 farmers (from seeds produced); and 80 farmers, animators and NGO technicians (training).
- 200 kg of basic IRAT 204 variety sorghum seeds distributed to Seed Multiplying Farmers (SMFs).
- In partnership with ALT, 32 small plots (totalling 31.55 ha) identified for multiplication.
- In partnership with SIF, a 5 ha plot cultivated by a farmers’ association was identified.
- 35 SMFs, 13 animators, 2 ALT technicians and 30 farmers’ association members trained in sorghum seed production (including field preparation, fertilization, farming techniques, sorghum pests and diseases, harvesting, storage and packaging).
- Training activities and distribution of seeds to vulnerable families planned within the Food Security and Livelihoods Subcluster.
- Regular information on food security situation shared through the Subcluster.
- Production per producer under the partnership with ALT ranged from 40 to 1 800 kg of sorghum seeds and the yield from 600 kg/ha to 900 kg/ha.
- Under the partnership with SIF, only 1.6 ha could be cultivated, producing 962 kg of sorghum seeds (average yield of 600 kg/ha).
- Total of 14 200 kg of seeds repurchased from ALT SMFs and SIF small farmers’ association.
- 13.2 tonnes of the sorghum seeds were directly distributed to 8 500 farming households in the regions of Androy and Anosy for the 2011/12 main season.