Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Projet pilote de protection et de restauration durable des moyens productifs des éleveurs et maraîchers du Sila, par la structuration, l’amélioration de la santé animale et l’association agriculture-élevage25/03/2016
- Rétablissement d'urgence de la capacité d'auto-prise en charge des populations déplacées du Mali25/03/2016
- Strengthening the food security coordination and building the resilience of agropastoral communities in Chad23/03/2016
- Assistance through FAO for the control of rabies in Indonesia23/03/2016
- Assistance to strengthen emergency preparedness for highly pathogenic avian influenza in India22/03/2016
Connect with us
Improving food and agriculture resilience of flood-affected farmers in Zambia and Namibia
Improving food and agriculture resilience of flood-affected farmers in the Zambezi River Basin
To strengthen the resilience of vulnerable communities and households to the risk of food insecurity and agriculture losses caused by seasonal floods and droughts in the Zambezi River Basin.
International Federation of the Red Cross, National Red Cross Societies, the Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry (Namibia) and Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock (Zambia).
800 vulnerable households (4 800 individuals).
- 800 beneficiaries were trained on good agricultural practices, conservation agriculture, business and marketing skills, and post-harvest storage and processing.
- Beneficiaries were provided with 9.7 tonnes of seed of early maturing, adaptable cowpea, maize, sorghum, millet, rice and groundnut varieties.
- Distributed 300 breeding goats and 90 breeding chicken to 90 beneficiaries who will pass on the second livestock offspring to other community members.
- The inputs provided by the project enabled farmers to diversify production, increase hectarage, replenish seed stocks and improve their yields.
- The provision of training enabled beneficiaries to increase farm productivity, reduce post-harvest losses, add value to products and increase profits.
- By diversifying crop production, the project helped mitigate the risk of losing an entire harvest to flooding or drought.