Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Mise en place d'un stock stratégique d'intrants agricoles et de parc à bois et de lianes de patate douce en République Démocratique du Congo21/04/2015
- Scaling up of root and tuber crops diversification in 15 woredas of Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR and Tigray Regions of Ethiopia16/04/2015
- Strengthening the resilience and improving the food and nutrition security of displaced populations and host communities by restoring their agricultural production in Mali15/04/2015
- Appui à la production alimentaire d’urgence en faveur de 7 000 ménages malnutris et en insécurité alimentaire en territoire de Niangara, district de Haut Uélé (Province Orientale) 15/04/2015
- Drought Recovery Response in Ethiopia14/04/2015
Connect with us
Improving food and agriculture resilience of flood-affected farmers in Zambia and Namibia
Improving food and agriculture resilience of flood-affected farmers in the Zambezi River Basin
To strengthen the resilience of vulnerable communities and households to the risk of food insecurity and agriculture losses caused by seasonal floods and droughts in the Zambezi River Basin.
International Federation of the Red Cross, National Red Cross Societies, the Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry (Namibia) and Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock (Zambia).
800 vulnerable households (4 800 individuals).
- 800 beneficiaries were trained on good agricultural practices, conservation agriculture, business and marketing skills, and post-harvest storage and processing.
- Beneficiaries were provided with 9.7 tonnes of seed of early maturing, adaptable cowpea, maize, sorghum, millet, rice and groundnut varieties.
- Distributed 300 breeding goats and 90 breeding chicken to 90 beneficiaries who will pass on the second livestock offspring to other community members.
- The inputs provided by the project enabled farmers to diversify production, increase hectarage, replenish seed stocks and improve their yields.
- The provision of training enabled beneficiaries to increase farm productivity, reduce post-harvest losses, add value to products and increase profits.
- By diversifying crop production, the project helped mitigate the risk of losing an entire harvest to flooding or drought.