Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Regional cassava initiative in support of vulnerable smallholders in Central and Eastern Africa
- Drought Recovery and Smallholder Adaptation Programme in Djibouti and Somalia
- Emergency rehabilitation of the productive capacity of households affected by the 2012 severe weather conditions in the Gambia
- Appui d’urgence aux agriculteurs vulnérables en Haiti en réponse à la dépression tropicale Sandy
Connect with us
Support to food security and livelihoods for IDPs, youth and school dropouts in Sudan
Support to food security and livelihoods for IDPs, youth and school dropouts in Khartoum, White Nile, North Kordofan and River Nile States
Khartoum, White Nile, North
Kordofan and River Nile States
The original objective of the project was to provide support to food security and livelihoods for IDPs, youth and school dropouts in Khartoum, White Nile, North Kordofan and River Nile States. However, owing to the dramatically reduced level of funding received, the objective was revised: To increase the protection of livestock assets of the most vulnerable populations in North Kordofan State through improved access to veterinary services.
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, State Ministry of Agriculture, Sudanese Development Call Organization.
The project activities benefited a total of 5 865 beneficiaries comprising nomads and vulnerable residents from eight villages in Abu Zabad locality of North Kordofan State.
- Livestock vaccinations were provided to 37 000 animals belonging to 1 850 households of vulnerable residents and pastoralists in Abu Zabad.
- Livestock curative services were provided to 20 000 animals belonging to 4 000 beneficiary households.
- The project conducted a serosurveillance and parasitic investigation in Abu Zabad.
- The livestock vaccination component of the project reduced mortality rates and disease outbreak, while helping to increase production among animals in the targeted areas.
- The project’s livestock curative services contributed to the elimination of parasitic infestation among treated animals through de-worming.
- The training of community animal health workers afforded the targeted communities in Abu Zabad access to local veterinary services.