Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Post Ebola livelihood recovery through women association food and income security empowerment24/02/2017
- Jeunesse au travail: réduction de la pauvreté rurale21/02/2017
- Jubbaland and Galmadug fishermen and fleet registration15/02/2017
- Provision of time-critical livelihood-saving support in drought-affected areas of Puntland15/02/2017
- Strengthening local resilience to food insecurity to develop a national early warning system for vulnerable rural families in Bolivia08/02/2017
Connect with us
Reintegration support to ex-combatants in Sudan
Reintegration support to ex-combatants in Kassala State
To provide productive reintegration support to ex-combatants discharged from armed groups in Kassala state, enabling them to pursue safe, peaceful and appropriate livelihood activities within their communities.
Ministries of Agriculture and Animal Resources, Sudan Ministry of Science and Technology, UNDP, National DDR Commission, ERCU, ACORD, SRC, ISRA.
856 demobilized ex-combatants from Kassala, Gedarif and Red Sea states.
- Distributed 5 439 goats and sheep to 777 ex-combatants, along with fodder and supplements.
- Provided animal health services (vaccinations and curative treatments) to all of the distributed animals.
- Trained 12 community animal health workers (CAHWs) who helped implement the vaccination campaign and veterinary treatments.
- Through the restocking programme, the average size of household herds has risen from three to ten, excluding the newborn offspring.
- The training in animal husbandry helped to build the owners’ capacities in animal health and management while the vaccination campaign reduced the rates of mortality and disease outbreak and increased the animals’ production and productivity.
- Trained CAHWs gave beneficiaries access to local veterinary services and provided a means of reporting to veterinary authorities in case of disease outbreaks.
- Overall, the project brought the ex-combatants into the production cycle, contributing to increased food security, stability and peace building in the targeted areas.